Autoguiding

TimC

Question

Hi,

I have started to try and develop things further with the DDM 85. I am utilising CCDAutoPilot and trying to utilise longer exposures 10 to 20 min subs with the new mount. I am finding my tracking is not giving me round stars without autoguiding on the long exposures. This is probably (I guess) because I have to fix the mount balance better maybe or fix the cable drag that I still have to some degree at this stage, or perhaps I need a bigger and better pointing file.....Anyway with autoguiding using Maxim, the funny thing is that I get beautiful subs with great guiding for the first two or three subs in an automated run, then after that the mount seems to stop correcting and the guide errors go very high with no correction from the mount. Also, when I end the run and disconnect the software from each other Autoslew tells me there are now about 85 ASCOM programs connected to it ....Because of my situation in a remote site, I as yet cannot use MLPT for longer exposures as I need robotic automation to work through the whole night. I do understand Philipp is testing an automated multitarget night-long version of MLPT at  the moment, however.

Can anyone enlighten me about what I might be doing wrong with my attempts to autoguide with the DDM85 ??

Many thanks,

Tim 

3 answers to this question

It sounds like it might be a USB problem. Occasionally I lose connection between Maxim and Autoslew and guiding does not work, but this never happens in the middle of a run. It tends to happen right at the start when I am setting up. Solution is to disconnect and reconnect Maxim.

Hi,

Thanks very much for the replies.

I  was mainly querying why the software was freezing up and not issuing any corrections to the mount via Maxim during autoguiding and then when I disconnect AutoSlew it tells me there are 85 ASCOM programs connected to it....no wonder it had frozen and been unable to cope with adjusting mount position when commanded to by Maxim. Perhaps it is an USB issue. By the way, I have previously  run the hysteresis routine and have reduced the hysteresis error down to about 9 arcsec.by optimising the Keller classical cassegrain primary mirror's stability. 

Regards,

Tim