Has anybody attempted making a set of mosaic images using Sequence?

MikePaling

Hi ...

At some point in the future I would like to make some images of objects that are larger than my FOV by making a set of images to form a mosaic after processing.

Has anybody attempted this using Sequence???

A friend has suggested that I purchase Sequence Generator Pro and use this program to work out the coordinates for each panel and then enter this into ASA Sequence.

I am prepared to purchase SGP .... if it works !!!!

Has anybody experience of doing either of these methods?

Cheers Mike

This could be done very easy in PixInsight with the MosaicPlanner script:

screenshot from wikisky.org, pasted in PixInsigh as new image

ImageSolver script for astrometry

MosaicPlanner script for the tiles and coordinates

Best Regards

Thomas

Hi Thomas ...

Thanks for this ... it looks as if it might help me greatly .... if I can get it to work :-(((

I do have PixInsight but I don't use it very often as I find it VERY confusing at the moment!

I have spend almost all of today trying to follow your steps but keep hitting a brick wall.

I have done a screen shot of a well known deep space object on "WikiSky" web site and saved it in 2 formats ... jpeg and tiff.

I have then open these up in PixInsight, in turn, and found the ImageSolver script .... but when I ask PI to use I get messages saying that it is unable to plate solve and get the coordinates.

I have yet to find the MosaicPlanner script in PixInsight :-(

Are you able to explain what I might be doing wrong here ? ... bearing in mind that I am struggling with PixInsight !

Cheers Mike

SGP works great for this. Its mosaic tool is worth the purchase by itself.

I use ASA Sequence only because I can go unguided with MLPT. 

I copy the Mosiac coordinates if I still don't want to guide.

Hi ....

Thanks for this suggestion.

I have downloaded the full trial version of SGP .... I have made some very tentative steps of trying to use it to get the mosaic coordinates for an object but failing badly to make much progress at the minute :-(((

I will be trying to make progress at every opportunity ... but I might have to ask you for a bit of help at times if that's OK.

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike

I have written a tutorial about that: http://www.distant-lights.at/tipps/MosaicPlanning_PixInsight.pdf

The ImageSolver script you'll find at Script - Image Analysis

Mosaic Planner in Script - Utilities

Thomas

Wow Thomas ..... this looks just great !!!!

I have just had a very quick look at the tutorial (it's late) and I can see what I have to do :-)))

I will be giving in a full try-out tomorrow and see where it takes me.

Cheers Mike

Hi again Thomas ...

I have been following the steps in your tutorial ... but I keep hitting a brick wall :-(((

I have been working with the very same Deep Sky Object that you had used ( IC 2177 ) as well as a couple of objects that I am interested using images from WikiSky.

All goes well until I ask PixInsight to use the " ImageSolver" script and then ask it Plate Solve desoite me applying all settings that you show. I get a message saying that " no stars can be detected"  ...

I will cut&paste the last bit of the log ....

Please check the following items:

• The initial coordinates should be inside the image. I( did the nessessary search for IC2177 and got the coordinates same as yours)
  • The initial resolution should be within a factor of 2 from the correct value. (I set the scale of wikisky image and focal distance same as yours)
  • Adjust the star detection sensitivity parameter, so that the script can detect most of the stars in the image without mistaking noise for stars. (Tried several different settings)

The catalogue should be matched to the image. Choose the appropriate catalog and magnitude filter, so that the number of stars extracted from the catalog can be similar to the number of stars detected in the image. ( Used UCAC3)

Any idea what I might be doing wrong ??? I did try changing the star magnitude settings to make it more sensitive ... no change.

Interestingly ... I have carried out the whole process using an old FITS image that I took a few months ago, instead of using an image from WikiSky .... this time PixInsight picked up the stars and I was able to produce the coordinates for a mosaic with no problems.

However ... I would ideally like to plan a mosaic in advance without the need for taking any initial FITS files of my intended object .... if possible.

Any suggestions what I might be doing wrong with the WikiSky images????

Mike

Hi Mike

I know, the ImageSolver is annoying sometimes.

For this short focal length try another star catalog , maybe "TYCHO-2" and reduce the Limit magnitude to 10

Under "Advanced Parameters" use "Polygons" as Alignment algorithm

see the attached screenshot

Hope it works now

Thomas

Untitled.jpg

Hi Mike

I know, the ImageSolver is annoying sometimes.

For this short focal length try another star catalog , maybe "TYCHO-2" and reduce the Limit magnitude to 10

Under "Advanced Parameters" use "Polygons" as Alignment algorithm

see the attached screenshot

Hope it works now

Thomas

Hi Thomas ....

Many thanks for this ... it worked :-)))))

Mike

SGP works great for this. Its mosaic tool is worth the purchase by itself.

I use ASA Sequence only because I can go unguided with MLPT. 

I copy the Mosiac coordinates if I still don't want to guide.

Hi again ...

I have now managed to get SGP to produce mosaic coordinates that I can feed into ASA Sequence.

Actually I am spoilt for choice now .... thanks to Thomas I can also get the same data out of PixInsight :-)))))

Mike

• 2 weeks later...