Sequence not fit for purpose

DaveS

Hello Dave,

I would like to read the contents of the files you are currently using:

1 - All night tasks
The one with a ".sqe" extension in ProgramData\ASA\Sequence\ExposureSettings (for me at home ExposureFiles)

2 - Task details for each line of the previous file (.sqe)
So, the one with a ".exp" extension in ProgramData\ASA\ASA\Sequence\ExposureSettings

You can use private messaging (MP)
La Cebra

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And now it's stuffed up an imaging run AGAIN. I son't know what it doesn't like but since I changed the filters in the wheel it's playing silly Bs with the Trius camera, so it looks like it's connected but the cooler shown -16 instead of -20 and a trial sxposure shows nothing.

I set everything up as normal, slewed to Deneb and synched, fine, niche sharp stars. slew to my target, temp shows -16 and no stars. I blame Sequence since reading the filters from the wheel.

I give up, time for the big hammer I think, hardware and computer and software.

Dave,

Before you trash everything bear in mind that there are quite a number of people running this software without trouble.

You might try the following:

1. complete removal of Autoslew, Sequence, and ALL associated program data (you may have to 'unhide' hidden files)

2. Prevent automatic driver updates in Windows: consult the internet on this

3. re-install AS and Seq, ensuring that the FTDI driver is as supplied by ASA; set them up using the latest recommendations

4. Ensure all necessary Windows permissions allow cross-access of software

5. set up MaximDL and the camera for filter control and image acquistion only 

When starting up the system, this is the procedure I use:

1. Turn on the mount

2. Start the computer, allow it to settle and open Autoslew

3. Open focuser software if it is not being controlled by AS

3. Start TheSkyX and connect it with Autoslew

4. Turn on camera - wait for it to settle

5.Turn on MaximDL and connect camera

6.Turn on Sequence; press Connect   - You should see all the system icons show that connection has occurred.

If all is well, the system should behave properly; Synch, Autopoint,PA, AF, MLPT, SequenceRun.....

Others using Windows10 (I don't - I use Windows7) may have more/better suggestions; in any event don't give up yet!

Mark

Thanks Mark, I'll try your suggestions. My start up routine, that has been fine in the past, is:

Power up the mount and its associated hardware

Turn on the computer, login, wait for everything to boot up

Launch Autoslew, turn on the motors and perform Homefind (It's a DDM60)

Launch Cartes du Ciel, connect Telescope

Launch Maxim DL, toggle Camera Control, connect camera. At this point I sometimes get a "Cannot connect filter Wheel" error, cleared by unplugging and replugging the USB from the filter wheel to the Trius Hub

Slew to a convenient star (I've been using Deneb ATM), fine adjust if necessary, and click Synch in C du C

Launch Sequence and Connect.

Set up the Autosave sequence in Maxim, Apply, OK

Slew to the target, check framing then run MLPT

Run the sequence,

OK, I'm in email contact with Wolfgang from ASA support, and he thinks I've done something wrong in my .ini file, as a simulation using it crashed. What though I don't know.

I will wait and see what he come back with after TeamViewing my computer during a run before nuking the software.

Dave,

Why do you have MaximDL doing the image saving? It may be irrelevant, but that IS a difference from what works for me. I have Sequence doing the saving - how to is in the Sequence 200 documentation. That way MaximDL is out of proceedings,except for its exposure and filter wheel drivers.

Just a thought!

Mark

I have to use Maxim for the saving, as Sequence crashes with Unhandled Exception Errors before it can even make the Synch exposure. From looking at the Sequence Logs (Which I only recently found D'oh!) I can see the last entry is for Readout Mode -1 which is silly.

This is the latest from an aborted trial run.

20:33:46.724: ************************************************************************
20:33:46.724: Starting Sequence on Target C:\ProgramData\ASA\Sequence\Target Files\Crescent.trg with Exposure settings C:\ProgramData\ASA\Sequence\ExposureSettings\2 Hour Hydrogen Bin1.exp
20:33:46.740: Running now Nr. 1 of this Sequence
20:33:46.802: Starting Sequence C:\ProgramData\ASA\Sequence\Target Files\Crescent.trg
20:33:46.802: Target RA: 20h12m49.72s DE: +38d24m44.2s
20:33:46.818: Focus RA:  DE: 
20:33:46.833: Focus star was not defined and focus is disabled but I need a place to synch, so autoselected with 
RA = 20h12m49.7sDE= +39d58m35s
20:33:46.833: Checking now for Pier side for object
20:33:46.849: Could finish Object on Eastside
20:33:46.849: Can only be made on East side
20:33:46.865: Not same Target, check if we have to Autofocus or Synch
20:33:47.739: No Autofocus, because NeverDuringSequence is selected
20:33:47.771: Moving Scope to Autofocus Positon
20:33:47.864: Slewing to 20h12m49.7  +39°58m35 Pierside East
20:33:57.575: Setting Readoutmode -1

At that point it crashes.

I'm just going to bring the rest of the Logs into my office computer where I can look at them at leisure.

I thought I had, but then I've just seen it un-ticked. I probably neglected to save the setting.

Wolfgang has replied to me with a suggestion to set the ASCOM focuser simulator, he thinks there may be a bug in the system with Sequence expecting a focuser, and crashing if one isn't installed. I tried that following Luc's suggestion but it looked to have stuffed up the Exposure Settings page. I think it's OK now.

Software does my head in, there are so many interacting routines / threads / subroutines etc that finding where the *actual* problem lies, rather than where it *looks like* it lies is a real nightmare for someone who isn't a software engineer.

Well, I got yet another, different Unhandled Exception. Sequence appeared to work as it should, slewing to a synch / focus star, made an exposure, and solve. fine, I could see everything happening on the bar at the foot of the screen, but then got the message in the screenshot.

post-7188-0-01835100-1567601309_thumb.png

At first I thought it might have been because I'd inadvertently left the Maxim exposure window in Autosave, but a second trial with the setting changed to single produces the same result. Here is the Log, FWIW

2019_9_3_22h17m.txt

I have a lot of trouble reading the screenshot. It's too fuzzy!
But I think I can guess a well-known exception message:
"Index was outside of the bounds of the array"
(Please specify the exact text).

It would also be interesting to know the list of messages located in "Details"

When several tasks are to be performed consecutively (Luminance x 10, Red x 10, Green x10, Green x10, Blue x 10, Ha x 10) they are placed in an "container" in RAM memory.
The above container should have 5 positions, for all 5 tasks.
These tasks are numbered from 0 to 4. (computer scientist's secret, we start counting from zero  :lol: )

If the form is misfilled/completed (by you) the pointer (index) of the task to be executed may be outside the range 0-4 (out of bounds). The program cannot perform an imaginary task that is outside the container.

The index can, for example, have the value 7!!!!! Why not, but unlikely. ?
The most likely is that it contains the value -1 (no data in the form).

I seem to have specified that a filter was missing in one of your exp files. In this case the value would therefore be -1
This causes an exception... and P. Keller did not write a manager for this exception at this location in order to avoid this catastrophe!!!!!

It is now necessary to verify that what I imagine with this some information corresponds well to the reality.

I am still working on explaining "What unmanaged exceptions are ?", but there was a week of clear nights with a rather weak seeing.  B) 

La Cebra

I have had a look at the Exposure Setting that I was using last night, and see nothing particularly unusual. Since I don't have the permissions needed to attach the file as such I have copied it as a text file in Notepad

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<ExposureSettings>
  <Name>C:\ProgramData\ASA\Sequence\ExposureSettings\Stephan and Deer GB and L.exp</Name>
  <IsGuided>False</IsGuided>
  <MLPTused>True</MLPTused>
  <DitherAmount>5.00</DitherAmount>
  <GroupBySlot>True</GroupBySlot>
  <ExposureDetail ExposureNumber=" 0">
    <Do>True</Do>
    <Numbers>2</Numbers>
    <ExposureTime>600.00</ExposureTime>
    <Filter>2</Filter>
    <Suffix>Green</Suffix>
    <Binning>2</Binning>
    <ReadoutMode>0</ReadoutMode>
  </ExposureDetail>
  <ExposureDetail ExposureNumber=" 1">
    <Do>True</Do>
    <Numbers>2</Numbers>
    <Filter>3</Filter>
    <Suffix>Blue</Suffix>
    <Binning>2</Binning>
  </ExposureDetail>
  <ExposureDetail ExposureNumber=" 2">
    <Do>True</Do>
    <Numbers>12</Numbers>
    <Filter>0</Filter>
    <Suffix>Lum</Suffix>
    <Binning>1</Binning>
  </ExposureDetail>
  <ExposureDetail ExposureNumber=" 3">
    <Do>False</Do>
    <Numbers>1</Numbers>
    <ExposureTime>0.00</ExposureTime>
    <Filter>-1</Filter>
    <Suffix />
    <Binning>1</Binning>
  </ExposureDetail>
  <ExposureDetail ExposureNumber=" 4">
    <Do>False</Do>
    <Numbers>1</Numbers>
    <Filter>-1</Filter>
    <Suffix />
    <Binning>1</Binning>
  </ExposureDetail>
  <ExposureDetail ExposureNumber=" 5">
    <Do>False</Do>
    <Numbers>1</Numbers>
    <Filter>-1</Filter>
    <Suffix />
    <Binning>1</Binning>
  </ExposureDetail>
  <ExposureDetail ExposureNumber=" 6">
    <Do>False</Do>
    <Numbers>1</Numbers>
    <Filter>-1</Filter>
    <Suffix />
    <Binning>1</Binning>
  </ExposureDetail>
  <ExposureDetail ExposureNumber=" 7">
    <Do>False</Do>
    <Numbers>1</Numbers>
    <Filter>-1</Filter>
    <Suffix />
    <Binning>1</Binning>
  </ExposureDetail>
  <ExposureDetail ExposureNumber=" 8">
    <Do>False</Do>
    <Numbers>1</Numbers>
    <Filter>-1</Filter>
    <Suffix />
    <Binning>1</Binning>
  </ExposureDetail>
  <ExposureDetail ExposureNumber=" 9">
    <Do>False</Do>
    <Numbers>1</Numbers>
    <Filter>-1</Filter>
    <Suffix />
    <Binning>1</Binning>
  </ExposureDetail>
</ExposureSettings>

Apologies for the blurry screenshot, I grabbed it as I was working, forgot about the trick to get a region of interest, will try tonight if I get the same error. The details go on for a long list, have to scroll through them, with no way I can see to print it out or copy to clipboard.

Yes, the message was "Index outside the bounds of the array" but no other indication.

1/ "Details "

Click in the window messages

Ctrl+A (select all)

Ctrl+C (copy)

NotePad : Ctrl+V (Paste)

2/ Please : The  file .trg (target)

3/ Save the sequence before "Run Now"

Copy here the code of the .seq file (sequence)

With this three items I can replicate your situation, here  :ph34r:  or no !

I hope you are gradually learning French written in English words.  -_- 

La Cebra

Thanks for the pointers to copy the error text I'll do that if I get another unhandled exception tonight

Here is the .trg I was using last night. I have updated it since, as I may have made an error entering tho coordinates, I did not see the Corrected (?) coordinates when I had a look just now. I re-entered them and both sets of coordinated were filled out

<?xml version="1.0"?>
  <Name>Stephan and Deer</Name>
  <ObjRa> 22h37m30.5s </ObjRa>
  <ObjDe> +34°18'31"</ObjDe>
  <FocRa>23h48m57.2s</FocRa>
  <FocDe>-02d39m06s</FocDe>
  <Comment>Stephan's Quintet and Deer Lick Group</Comment>
  <PosAngle>-----</PosAngle>
</clsTarget>

And the .sqe file

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SequenceSettings>
  <Lines LineNumber=" 0">
    <Do>True</Do>
    <Numbers>1</Numbers>
    <Target>C:\ProgramData\ASA\Sequence\Target Files\Stephan and Deer.trg</Target>
    <ExposureDetails>C:\ProgramData\ASA\Sequence\ExposureSettings\3 hour RGB bin 2.exp</ExposureDetails>
    <MinimumAltitude>25.0</MinimumAltitude>
  </Lines>
  <Lines LineNumber=" 1">
    <Do>False</Do>
    <Numbers>1</Numbers>
    <Target />
    <ExposureDetails />
  </Lines>
  <Lines LineNumber=" 2">
    <Do>False</Do>
    <Numbers>1</Numbers>
    <Target />
    <ExposureDetails />
  </Lines>
  <Lines LineNumber=" 3">
    <Do>False</Do>
    <Numbers>1</Numbers>
    <Target />
    <ExposureDetails />
  </Lines>
  <Lines LineNumber=" 4">
    <Do>False</Do>
    <Numbers>1</Numbers>
    <Target />
    <ExposureDetails />
  </Lines>
  <Lines LineNumber=" 5">
    <Do>False</Do>
    <Numbers>1</Numbers>
    <Target />
    <ExposureDetails />
  </Lines>
  <Lines LineNumber=" 6">
    <Do>False</Do>
    <Numbers>1</Numbers>
    <Target />
    <ExposureDetails />
  </Lines>
  <Lines LineNumber=" 7">
    <Do>False</Do>
    <Numbers>1</Numbers>
    <Target />
    <ExposureDetails />
  </Lines>
  <Lines LineNumber=" 8">
    <Do>False</Do>
    <Numbers>1</Numbers>
    <Target />
    <ExposureDetails />
  </Lines>
  <Lines LineNumber=" 9">
    <Do>False</Do>
    <Numbers>1</Numbers>
    <Target />
    <ExposureDetails />
  </Lines>
</SequenceSettings>

I hope my less than classical English comes through the translation OK. Your "French written in English" is quite understandable  :)

If the program crashes tonight, expect more info, and possibly rude words  ;)

Your problem seems so big (as an exception!) that it could well be hidden in a configuration file, so not very far away...

There are still others to explore next (with the list of filters for example).

Tonight, heavy rain ongoing. So I don't touch the telescope computer. Tomorrow, I think.

Good luck tonight.

I hope my less than classical English comes through the translation OK. Your "French written in English" is quite understandable  :)

If the program crashes tonight, expect more info, and possibly rude words  ;)

Those will probably not been translated...  :lol:

For an Englishman your English is not that bad. :rolleyes:

I am glad you are getting some help. I am sorry my programming skills are sub zero.

Dave,

Your Exposure file and .trg are line for line identical to any of mine, with one exception which I think is immaterial, viz:

I do not bother to name my trg files except when saving them, so the name fields are null. I cannot see that making any difference whatever.

I guess the conclusion I would draw from this is that there may be something buried deep in the Sequence.ini file (to be found in Program Data).

If you can post it, I'm happy to do a line for line check.....

Mark

Well....

Success! (And no need for rude words  :) )

The problem that caused the last Unhandled Exception was due to me being lazy in entering the target coordinates for that particular object. I thought I could copy and paste from the coordinates shown in Cartes du Ciel, but when I did there were no J2000 (?) coordinates shown, and I thought it didn't matter. Well, it DOES matter, since when I edited the file, manually typing in the coordinates, the other set were automatically entered.

I set Sequence running last night and while waiting for the target to get high enough for Sequence to start I went inside to attend to other things. When I came out again, expecting to see the usual Error box, I found Sequence happily making the MLPT, then running the exposures.

So what I have learned through all this:

Sequence *needs* an autofocuser installed, even if it's only the ASCOM simulator, in which case check Never autofocus during sequence. This is actually a software bug.

If your camera doesn't use readout modes check the Do not use Readout Modes box.

Don't be lazy in entering the target coordinates, copy and paste will not work, type them in. And click the Automatically choose focus star.

Make sure you click Apply and Save after each change. To be fair this is flagged up in the manual, but can be overlooked if working in haste.

Oh, and ASA support *will* help in sorting out apparently intractable problems.

Edited by DaveS

I managed to fix mine today too! At least I believe I have, I won't really know until I give it legitimate trial under the stars.

I've spent all of today installing Window 7 Pro, installing ALL of the different software packages and making sure everything connects and plays nice. I then decided I'd run everything in simulator mode and do some trail runs. I then re-read what had been discussed here and your issues were different to mine. When I've been putting in targets I've use the "Find" function and not pasting coordinates in from another program like TSX/

It was reading how fickle Sequence is in that it needs to be told everything in its own way otherwise it'll have a headache. I was then going back over every part within Sequence and trying to figure out what could be causing a conflict and it dawned on me that no where in Sequence does it allow me to say that I have a filter wheel installed (which I don't) BUT it also doesn't allow me to tell it that it doesn't have one! Natively Sequence under the CCD section has a list of potential filter positions and has an option for you to retrieve these from MaximDL. As I've been using an OSC I've just left all that alone and assumed that because everything was empty that Sequence wouldn't care...... but I was wrong.....

I told Sequence to retrieve the filterwheel data, it said there was no filter wheel (well yeah), made it all blank and I think that's fixed my problem! It appears my out of bounds error was in relation to a lot of potential filter wheel positions that didn't exist. I didn't have an issue with this 18 months ago as I was using a filter wheel then.

I just hope that the "New" software that I'm hearing about will solve all these problems. It really needs to be a single integrated package with the functionality of Autoslew, Sequence, the camera control of Maxim (No need of all the other stuff) and PinPoint, plus any other tools that ASA can package in, and be debugged BEFORE release, instead of expecting end-users to be beta-testers.

What irks me about the current package is having to purchase a full version of Maxim just to use the very basic functions of the camera control, not even the autosave sequence. OK, if you can afford a DDM mount it's likely you can afford Maxim as well, but it's just plain wasteful as it stands.

Oh, and could we please have thorough documentation, instead of the sketchy excuse we have now, with important points either not covered, or only hinted at.