Sequence not fit for purpose

DaveS

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unless something crashes this may be my last post on the subject.

Last night I ran a 4 hour sequence which I knew would involve a Meridian Flip, to see if Sequence could handle it.

I kept an eye on the monitors, and as the sequence neared the pier side I went to have a look. At one point I was getting worried, as the MLPT was ticking down, and the limit was fast approaching, but all was well. As I was watching I saw the Autoslew "Telescope slewing" window pop up and the mount did the required Meridian Flip without fuss.

There was next a slew to the synch / focus star followed by the new MLPT which happened without fuss, followed by the camera starting to chug through the final set of exposures.

It was just a pity that cloud came in to spoil the party after one sub, however I would count the night a success.

• 2 weeks later...

I just hope that the "New" software that I'm hearing about will solve all these problems. It really needs to be a single integrated package with the functionality of Autoslew, Sequence, the camera control of Maxim (No need of all the other stuff) and PinPoint, plus any other tools that ASA can package in, and be debugged BEFORE release, instead of expecting end-users to be beta-testers.

What irks me about the current package is having to purchase a full version of Maxim just to use the very basic functions of the camera control, not even the autosave sequence. OK, if you can afford a DDM mount it's likely you can afford Maxim as well, but it's just plain wasteful as it stands.

Oh, and could we please have thorough documentation, instead of the sketchy excuse we have now, with important points either not covered, or only hinted at.

Sadly, no news on the "new software "

Not optimistic that it will be an improvement.

ASA has a bad habit of putting out something at the idea stage and not following through.

Where is the new mounts to go with it?

Max