looking for reliable small USB hub

tbaehnck

Question

Hi Group,

I'm looking for a small USB Hub besaue the three ports of my DDM60pro are not enough. I will mount it near the other one.

It should be an active one, in best case with 12V, but 5V is possible and the most import thing: reliable, reliable, reliable :-)

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks and best regards

Thomas

15 answers to this question

Hi,

I recently read something interesting about the difference between normal consumer USB hubs (and probably other USB devices) and "industrial" grade hubs. Apparently consumer grade devices use ceramic resonators rather than crystal oscillators for frequency control. The problem with ceramic resonators is that they are affected by temperature in that the frequency changes if they are exposed to temperatures outside the range that might normally be expected in an interior environment. Apparently crystal oscillators are not affected in this way. This can cause the operating frequency to drift outside the specified USB operating frequency and lead to malfunction. This has lead me to wonder if this is the cause of some of the USB problems astronomers have reported as, I guess, some of our equipment is likely to be exposed to fairly extreme temperatures. The article recommended using industrial grade devices with crystal oscillators in such circumstances.

Ian

Hi Waldemar,

to me it seems as if the Transcend usb hub might have the same dimensions as the built in one of the ASA ddm85 (which is not working with any of my equipment).

Perhaps it is possible to swap it with the ASA one, if it works with my QSI683, etc.

Is the built in one supplied with 12V too?

Sebastian

Hi Sebastian,

In a thread on the old forum, that is exactly what one of the members did. He changed out the original hub for a Transcend .

I can remember he said it was not a big deal. Never did it myself though..I think if you take the topplate of, you can easily see if this is a possibility or not.

The hub is right underneath.

Do you have any idea why your equipment won't connect? 

BR Waldemar

Hi Waldemar,

my equipment does connect, but it doesn't keep the connection.

I have one of the later mounts, so I just can pull out the topplate without removing the scope.

I think I'm going to get the Transcend hub and give him a try...

Regards

Sebastian

Sebastian, what kind of USB cables do you use and how long?

Do they have EMI suppressors on the cables and are they shielded? 

Inferior cables may be your problem also...

Maybe before performing surgery on the mount, try other cables first if you didi not try that yet?

Waldemar

Waldemar,

I've tried everything:

QSI683  >all kinds of cablesall kinds of cables

The only thing that works at the moment is a direct USB cable to the PC - no matter what kind of cable.

I've ordered the Tanscend hub - perhaps it works with my equipment.

Sebastian

Hi Waldemar,

it took some time to check the hub. It works by the meaning that there are no connection losses as happening with the ASA hub.

But there are some artefacts like vertical and horizontal lines with equal distance - about five of them across the entire picture… I have no idea, where they come from.

Regards

Sebastian

Sebastian,

Is that also happening when you connect your camera directly to your computer, without using the mounts hub, or via another hub?

Maybe the used (from the mount?) power source for the hub is not ok and caused the problems to start with...

Did you check if the voltage was correct for the new hub?

Regards, Waldemar