DDM160 tube lenght considerations

lukepower

Hi there,

I am a proud user of a DDM85XL; so for a (theorical) project of a few friends and mine we are aiming for a DDM160, as we play with the idea of a VERY large scope sitting on it. We think about a huge Newtonian scope, where the tube would be as long as 2700mm (!), and weight about 250kg. Alright, the weight might be within the limits of the DDM160, but what about the tube lenght? I recall long refractors weighting not so much, but requiring serious mounts just because of their size...

Thanks for your comments

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Lukas,

the real problem is, that the Newtonian telescope  f/4,or faster  is always longer than a cassegrain. You need a bigger dome.

But a Cassegrain or a Newton-Telescope   have almost the same weight.

That is the reason, why most of bigger amateur telescopes for photography are Cassegrains. The DDM 160 can carry also e big Newtonian.

Best regards

Gerhard

Hi Gerhard,

thank you for your consideration. Well, I guess we'll end with either a Casssegrain with the camera in prime-focus, or a newtonian scope. Myself, I just mounted a Cassegrain-Newton (interchangeable secondary mirrors) with about 105kg total weight on my DDM85XL and have no issues (besides the really stringent balancing).

If I could make a wish to ASA, I would ask for a brake or something like that to lock down the tube once the scope is parked. In my case, once I close the main mirror covers, the little weight shift is enough to make the tube move and hit the roof :P