I am now planning the construction of a permanent observatory near Madrid. I have preselected the DDM85 mount and I would like to share with you some doubts.
- Which method do you used to interface the concrete pillar with the mount?. In some observatories I saw the typical 3 long screws embedded in the concrete to which an intermediate levelling plate (not provided) is attached and over this the DDM85 plate. I find this setup not satisfactory since is connecting your extremely well machined (and expensive) mount over something that can be affected by differential thermal expansions etc.
- What do you think is the best way to interface this mount to the concrete pillar?
- Is that crutial the leveling of the mount?. After all the polar axis in independently adjusted.
- I am thinking about a 3.5 meter pillar of 40cm in diameter with 1x1x1 basement. Do you think is adequate?
- Is there anybody using Linux to control de mount. Any plans to support it from ASA?
Many thanks in advance,