Is it a problem for SBIG CCDs to run non stop?

MichiP

Hello,

I’m currently using a SBIG ST-9 XE from a colleague. It’s very nice and extremely sensitive CCD. Currently we have bad weather so I decided to produce masterdarks for most used time and CCD temperatures. My first set took about 28 hours to complete all sub frames.

So I’m not sure it is a problem for the CCD to keep it running for several days to make several other sets for other temperatures.

How many sub exposures for one masterdark should be done become a very good masterdark? I’m currently doing 25 frames sub exposures for each master. Is this enough/too much or less?

Best regards,
Michael

Hi Michael,

I can't answer the question on the camera on-time. I suggest you ask SBIG - they are usually prompt with their replies.

I have settled on 25 subs for Master Bias, Dark, and Flats

Most of my deep sky exposures are in the range 5-20min. with the ASA10N scope.

25 seemed a reasonable compromise to me - given that one is doing multiple subs to minimise noise in the Masters. 25 subs give 1/5 the noise of one; to get twice as quiet would need 100 - too many for me!

Regards,

Mark

Hi Mark,

thank you for your answer. I have contacted SBIG, but they are on holidays till January 6th. I made a 60 hour run with the SBIG and it seems that it is working very well, but before I continue, I will wait for the support answer  :)

Did you made some comparisons between scaled darks and temperature fitting darks in Pixinsight?

Regards,

Michael

I always use the same temperature - minus 25C -  so it is only the time that scales. I haven't yet done a direct comparison, but I have used the scaling on narrow band sub calibration. It seems to be fine. If I get a chance in the near future to do a direct comparison I'll post the result.

Regards,

Mark