To ASA: why 3rd Party Software not include in DDM mount?

pauloastro

I own a DDM60 mount but If I what to use Sequense or the MLPT software I can't, because I haven't MaximDL or PinPoint software...

This doesn't make any sense...

So, for the time being I just have a expensive mount with very low PE...

Its very difficult to find the perfect telescope for this type of mount to use without an autoguider...

I think it was a good idea to rethink your software philosophy... :-)

Or improve AutoSlew with all the Sequence functionality... 

Best regards,

Paulo. 

Hi Paulo,

personally I have to agree about Pinpoint: If they sell Sequence as a software part to the mount, then Pinpoint is a must-have (unless Philipp is able to find a good alternative, maybe like astrometry.net solver, which is free).

As for MaximDl, I think that should be part of the camera package and not the mount - at least that would make sense to me.

Cheers

Hi Paulo,

I can understand your concern and it is not my intention to explain Asa stategy. They will do it if they want.

But, to use an Asa mount to do astrophotography, this makes no sense not to have:

- a PC with MS-Windows, as Autoslew is the only way to control the mount

- an OTA, you easily imagine why

- a camera, same as above

- MaximDL and Pinpoint in order to use Sequence and MLPT

None of those is provided for free with the mount.

You complain for the last item, which is generally the cheapest if you want some performance, but not for the others. I wonder why.

As there is no efficient alternative to Sequence, and as this implies MaximDL and Pinpoint, I think that Asa should propose a reasonable price for this additional software, as its mount customers are prisonners of this software choice. This would be fair.

You ask much more than that, and I don't see it as fair.

Best regards.

Bernard

If ASA bundle 3rd party software they would obviously have to increase the cost of their own products to cover the cost of the bundled software. I doubt if ASA have sufficient sales volume to negotiate a large OEM discount from the 3rd party vendors so the savings to those who don't have the software would be small and those who do have it already would be effectively paying for it twice.

Also, some products such as Maxim come in different versions so ASA would need to decide which version to bundle. If it were the most expensive then this might be more than many users need. If it is the cheapest then many users may need to separately buy the more comprehensive versions themselves.

I think it only makes sense to bundle software if it is absolutely essential to the operation of the ASA software and if there are no alternatives available, (particularly freeware ones).

Nigel

I agree with the previous comments. In this segment it makes no sense to include third party software like Maxim DL or Pinpoint. At the end it is the customer who has to pay for the software anyhow and if you own it already you don't need to buy it again. I don't know a mount that comes with Maxim, however some have pointing and imaging software included (but at a price)...

I still think that the prices for the DDM mounts are extremely fair if you think of the precision and quality you get!

Dani

To include third party software will also mean for ASA to be responsible for any problem which may occur with this software and this means more time and the need of more employees and this will raise the price for ASA products. I think buying an ASA Mount means to know what you want to do and what you need to get things done as you expect it before you buy it. So you need to calculate  all the extras, like PC, different Software etc. you need make the work which you want to do and then you should make your decision if which mount you buy.

Michael

Thank you all for your comments.

I really simplified too much my point of view about this.

The thing is: Sequense is a mount especific program, you can't use it with any other software besides autoslew. No doubts here.

Sequense needs a image from the sky (obtained with maxim), and needs to convert the image center to celestial coordinates (obtained with pinpoint).

(So far I never used Sequense, this is based on what I had read about it.)

I understand that ASA was too lazy to reinvent the wheel and used two existing software tools to do part of the Sequence work. That's ok.

But from a user perspective: why should I buy those two great software packages just to use Sequense? That is for me, like an ASA mount user, what doesn't make much sense. For some users this could make sense because ASA says so... 

Why not have some alternative solution for using Sequence? This is my point here..

Including those specific software solutions into asa mount software, like most of you agree, it really isn't the best solution, unless ASA could get a simplified version of those software that only worked with sequense..

So we could have:

Automated solution: have Maxim and Pinpoint or OTHER alternatives..

Manual solution: why not give a manual pointing file for the area of interest to Sequense? 

:-)

Thanks for the attention,

Paulo,

Yes Sequence is a mount specific program but you can use the mount without Sequence. I actually have a friend who is using his ASA mount without Sequence and is happy with it. However, Sequence will make your life easier and in addition allow some additional features to be used (like MLPT). 

I agree with you that it would be nice if being able to use Sequence with some other software than Maxim and Pinpoint but if I've understood it correctly there were some reasons why plate solving with e.g. SkyX wasn't possible. Besides SkyX isn't free either. What other good (and free) alternatives there are available, I really don't know. But I suspect that it isn't such a trivial thing to make a good in house plate solving software and include it into Sequence. And personally, I would rather see the (limited) resources to be used for developing Autoslew and Sequence, like it's done at the moment.

P.S. it's made very clear when buying the mount that you also need to get/have Maxim and Pinpoint if wanting to use all the features ;)

Edited by Jay

I use only Autoslew with my ASA DDM60pro. I was able to take 10 minutes unguided image with my Apo refractor 130/900 before a windows update turned of the computer while Autoslew was going. Then I just could not get past the 7 minutes unguided... Something is ruined in a Autoslew's file and have not yet been able to solve the problem....  I think that ASA DDM60 is a great mount, but I think the biggest limitation of the mount is totally dependent on a software which does not own.

Cristina

Edited by cfm2004

Hi Cristina

I never keep windows automatic update on while imaging. Windows updates really can mess things up so it's best to turn it off. Autoslew isn't the only software that can be messed up by Windows updates, so I wouldn't put too much blame on Autoslew ;)

Couple of hints:

• If you can make a complete system recovery from your computer..., make one. You can use it if something goes wrong with the updates or something else.
  • Update  the system recovery with the new one only after you've made sure your computer/astro gear is functioning without problems 
  • turn off the Windows automatic update

I've been using Windows 7/64 laptop for a year with all my astro software and haven't had any problems so far.

Jay

P.S. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "mount is totally dependent on a software which does not own" ?  

Hi Jay,

It was not my habit to keep windows update active, and I did not understand how did he take steps to install updates during the night ... However it happened.

Now I have turned off all updates, but the software continues to present problems. I also tired to send log files to Philip Keller. In 2012 I had a similar problem and I solved by installing a new version of Autoslew, but from months there are no new versions of Autoslew ...

I know the software is made by Dr. Keller for his mount. In the past it took some time to explain that the DDM60 and DDM85 behaved in a different way to do the polar alignment. In my opinion the software should be done directly from the producer of the mounts of this level.

Cristina

Cristina,

as far as I know, Dr. Keller is working for ASA, so that sounds to me like the producer of the mount is also producing the software. By the way, Dr. Keller is quite experienced with high-end mounts (at our local public observatory, they are using an 80-cm Cassegrain on a mount with Autoslew). I would say, the software should become easier to use...

Hi Cristina

Sorry to hear about your software problems. I do understand how irritating it can be. Luckily I haven't had any similar issues with my Autoslew and it has been functioning without any problems.

At the moment I'm trying the new Autoslew version 5.2.0.4 as a beta tester and it's working fine. Maybe you could try that also ? Just send an email to ASA and ask to registered as a beta tester to download the new version. Of course it's a beta version but seems to be vary stable.

Hi Cristina

I'm 99 % sure there is no need to make a new pointing file, just make sure you've copied the old files. But if you want to be 100 % sure ask ASA just in case.  I did make a new pointing file at the same time when started using the new version.

In my humble opinion ASA and Dr. Keller are doing a great job by making a truly super high tech mount and ditto software, and in that way bringing professional possibilities to amateurs. The way they provide service is outstanding as well from my own experience as from other's.

There is always something to complain about, but maybe we are all a bit spoiled by this incredible piece of technique and expect that we will be mothered all the way...

Buying a mount like this, kind of plunges you in the realm of very advanced technology and demands a different way of thinking than we were used to with the equipment we had before. At least that is how I experienced this. I am more than satisfied with my DDM60Pro and just invested a little bit more in likewise advanced programs like PinPoint and MaximDL. I totally agree with George's comparison to computers: some things you just have to buy yourself because of the possibilities to choose from and your personal interest. B.t.w.: Maxim also offers a lite version of PinPoint.

Regards,

Waldemar

• 2 weeks later...