Strange rings in Images

Hi there,

during testing I found in all of my images some strange rings appearing. Look here:

CCD-Image-243b.jpg

The imaging train is as follows (from front to camera):

1. Tube opening (tube is covered with a black cloth)
  2. Secondary mirror f/3
  3. Primary mirror, f/3
  4. Microtouch focuser, 4"
  5. ASA Cassegrain Reducer-corrector (x0,72), 4"
  6. Distance adaptor
  7. FLI Filterwheel
  8. FLI PL 16803

I don't really know, maybe  it's something with the baffles, or the reducer lens. If any of you have an idea, I'm open for everything :)

Thanks

Hi Lukas,

You can remove pieces from the imaging train to keep only the minimum to make a picture, and check if the circles still appear. If you have easy access to another camera, it would be helful to do the switch. This will allow you to identify where the issue comes from, and where it doesn't.

You can also check if you can see the circles with an eyepiece only.

I got once a single circle on a picture. It was due to a drop on the edge of the corrector, created by accumulated dew,

Regards

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

drop of dew... Hmm, actually in the morning there was heavy dew on both the main mirror and the carbon structure. Could be a possible cause...

I will try to rotate the individual components first, as the tube is heavy and very (!) prone to fine balancing. If I remove the corrector I can forget to use the mount as it would go crazy :P

Nigel: The OTA is custom-made by a renowned german telescope builder, with a 20" mirror from Zen (Italy) and correctors from ASA. 

As I was so concentrated on getting decent collimation and the mount to work, I dedicated no time to this problem, at first I even considered it small :P I thought covering the open truss with a black cloth would be enough, but nada :P

ALright, small update: I inspected the light path from the front of the scope to the camera, and saw three stainless steel screws (with a respectable head), which keep the last bit of the main mirror baffle in place. They definitively reach into the light path, as I am seeing them in the defocused star images. They are made of shiny steel, so reflections should be there. I removed one (as I have no exchange part for them) to see if it makes any difference from yesterdays image.

Let's hope for clear weather and I'll try. Damnit, yesterday we had 21.5 SQM over here, would have been a great night :)