my new DDM85 won't power up it seems

prefetch

Question

last week my DDM85 Standard arrived.

i unboxed it and set it up, and i plugged in the power cable to a 12 volt power supply.  i used a voltmeter to confirm that the power supply works, and that the attachment to the mount is receiving power.

i push the power/laser button the mount, and nothing happens.  no LED lights up.  no laser beams.  nothing.

also, when i start Autoslew, it says that it had a problem during the init of the motor drive.

any idea as to what is going on here?

Edited by prefetch

I might be wrong but the cable you're using looks like the optional GALV cable and NOT the DC in power supply cable...

EDIT It's not GALV cable either but as Sebastian said a new cable with two new colors. Anyway the brown and black are the same.

Edited by Jay

…it's as simple as that - they ran out of the type of cable they had, when they printed the manual…!

But when you have a look at my diagram, it's clear: brown (5) is + and black (6) is GND.

You are lucky that you didn't damage anything - always read carefully first, before doing anything!

Regards

Sebastian

That cable is the basic power supply cable for DDM60Pro. (6 pins)

For DDM85 the same cable is used, but for powering the focuser you need the 4 wire cable, or use the 4-wire GALV connector (4 pins).

I did not like the cables, so I made new ones with shielded cable and paired twisted wires, to prevent electrical interferences.

That may be over the top, but I am quite anal about these things.

I am also using the straight connector types, not the original 90° ones, so my cables have less bending stress.

Waldemar

IMG_0994.JPG

…it's right - any normal person in the universe would expect the red and black wire being the main wires to power the mount - but you have to know the mount is from Austria and Austrians are different! 

So don't do what you might think is right - always read first - the bad manuals…!

Sebastian

That's right Waldemar - I've been to Austria several times - I've also picked up my mount at ASA.

What I also found out, when doing all the wireing is, that the wires (see my diagram) of the data conectors in the mount are mixed up… Perhaps it's no problem when using the original ASA cables. But I did it the same way as you did - I made all the wireing by myself, because then I know what I get…!

Sebastian

Montierungsaufnahme_ASA.jpg

Waldemar,

unfortunatly I'm taking no orders - I think it would be too expensive for you anyway... ;)

It took about 100kg of aluminium tiles… But for me it was lots cheaper than an Equatorial Pier from ASA, because I didn't really have to pay the milling...

Sebastian

Edited by Sebastian