has anyone gotten gamepad controllers to work?

prefetch

Question

i purchased two different controllers, hoping one would work.

this one from logitech, which looks almost identical to the one the in the DDM85 manual: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-940-000110-Gamepad-F310/dp/B003VAHYQY

and this one from powera: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Mini-Pro-Controller-Wired/dp/B005761CFO

they are USB wired controllers, and windows 8 recognizes both of them, and the drivers seem to have loaded with any trouble, and Autoslew sees them as well - the problem is that they don't actually slew!

i can program the buttons with the setting menu in Autoslew, but the actual joy-stick part of the controller does nothing, which is kind of the important part.

the DDM85 manual says "any windows gamepad" will work - so far, i'm having no luck.

has anyone else gotten controllers to work?

7 answers to this question

Yes, I routinely use a Logitech Wireless F710

With my set-up, the turn-on sequence matters - I don't know why.

I do not plug the wireless receiver into the USB hub until Autoslew and the mount are on. Then I plug in the receiver, and hit the start button on the gamepad.

A green light flashes and then goes out.

Then I start the DDM motors, click on the gamepad icon in Autoslew. The cross disappears, and everything works.

This sounds messy, but it's not - just part of my start-up routine....

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark

I use a Logitech F-310 wireless gamepad without problems.

The receiver is pemanently plugged in to the USB Ranger. 

Sometimes it takes a little while before it starts working, but it always does.

Regards,

Waldemar

Should be F-710

Edited by Waldemar

I also use the Logitech F710 permanently connected to my Windows 7 PC. It took me a while before configuring it properly, mainly to control the focuser. But now, it works like a charm, I just have to press one button to wake it up from time to time as it goes to sleep quite quickly.

At the beginning, I had some turn-on sequence troubles like Mark has, but they disappeared when I changed my PC: I first used a notebook, now I use a desktop. Probably the issue was due to the USB and the low level of current available on notebooks USB plugs, to be shared at start-up. Mark, do you use a notebook?

You have to take care of the configured mode. In one mode, the mount movements are controlled by the D-pad, and the mini-sticks do nothing. In the other mode, this is the other way round, the left mini-stick control the mount movements and the D-pad does nothing. You can switch the mode by pressing the mode button on the joystick.

Be aware that the mount movements are slow  (around the sidereal speed) if no accelerator button is pressed, so you won't see any movement, unless you look at the RA and Dec values in Autoslew.

Best regards.

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

I use a laptop - my set-up is mobile so I have to set up from scratch every time anyway.

I don't think there is a power issue because the hub, which only connects the receiver and the OK3 focusser, is in a USB3 port.

Regards,

Mark

sounds like the F-710 works.  i'll keep trying to get my F-310 to work.  i'll try the different modes and maybe pay close attention to the slewing rate, but i'll go ahead and order an F-710 b/c it sounds like it'll work for sure. 

thanks everyone.

i received the F-710 today, and it works like a charm.  the little D-X switch is on D and everything else is default.

and it looks like the default on my system is the LT (left trigger) is medium speed, the LB (left button) is fast speed and the left stick is slow speed.

thanks everyone.   :D i love it when things work.  

now if i can just get theskyx and sequence to work together i'll be all set.