Autofocus with Sequence using other equipment than FLI

si6pack

All,

If I use my FLI CCD with my FLI FW in Sequence, everything runs fine...

However, if I replace my FLI CCD with my Xpress H694, autofocus within Sequence is not longer possible - autofocus starts with selecting the filter, but then stops giving me an error message. When I hit the continue button, Sequence is still executed, but the autofocus routine hangs - you have to stop it "by hand" hitting the "Stop" button in the autofocus window...

I spent quite some time to nail down what the reason for this issue is and finally came to the conclusion that the "readout mode" might be the issue. In settings "CCD" you can tick a box not to use "readout modes". I tried an autopointing with this setting, no problem for the H694 and FLI FW. 

In settings "Autofocus" the readout mode can also be requested from the ccd - if you do so and have a look at the log, an error msg is displayed: "Readoutmode reading from Maxim failed" - no wonder, since the Xpress driver does not offer any selection on readout mode in Maxim compared to FLI, where "8Mhz" or "8Mz flush" can be selected. And this might be the reason why the autofocus routine stops when the xpress ccd is "approached" by Sequence during autofocus.

No idea whether this is the real reason, but I would very much appreciate if this issue could be adressed as soon as possible!

It would be great if other users could step in here and share their experiences with autofocus and equipment other than FLI...

Thank you very much in advance,

Christian

• 1 year later...

I have the exactly same problem, any news?

I have a Atik 460EX, everything works fine exept the autofocus, stops when it requesting readout mode, even when the checkbox under the ccd settings is set to "do not use readout mode"

/Daniel

Hmm, i use the same versions of Sequence, when checkout the log file it sais that the autofocus rutine is using readout mode -1

Do you guys have the same?

It also sais the line under "error During making exposure (maxim)"

Maybe there is some settings in maxim?

No, my Sequence log says "Readout mode 0", and there is no "error during making exposure (maxim)" message.

It might be a problem with MaximDL. Check the camera drivers  - a re-install may help. With my cameras Maxim gets all its settings direct from them. All I need to do is enter the camera and filterwheel names for the camera I'm going to use. The filterwheel settings are previously set up in the cameras, not Maxim.

Mark

I have tried some more, it seems to be Sequence that is the problem.

With the Ascom simulators on the Camera and focuser, it produces Readoutmode -1
I Also tried with the real focuser and Camera simulator AND vice versa, still the same, Sequence stops because it could not make any exposure (probably due to the Readoutmode set to -1)

17:11:15.973: Starting V-Curve now

17:11:15.978: Starting with Focus Position = 50,99

17:11:16.123: Setting Readoutmode to -1

17:11:16.133: Setting Boxsize to 1100

17:11:16.133: Make Exposure with 2,53 s

17:11:16.138: Error during MakeExposure (Maxim)

17:11:18.908: Could not measure V-Curve, Moving back to initial focus position = 50,99

I could not "Read modes from CCD" from either the CCD setting tab or the Autofocus tab, it sais "Readoutmode from Maxim failed!" even with the Ascom simulator.
​Is there any settings in Maxim that i have forgot to set?

The setting "do not use readout modes" does not affect anything i am afraid.

Edit; I just tried to re-install Sequence but with same outcome, i can't change the readoutmode...
sigh... :(

/Daniel

Edited by Corpze

Hello Daniel and Jyrki,

I have had a lot of problems with Seletek autofocus with Sequence, here you have the steps I did to recognize the Seletek without problems.

1.- If you have already installed the Sequence, please try to uninstall.

2.- Delete complete the folter ASA located here: C:\ProgramData\ASA\Sequence\PersonalSettings (the most important thing is to remore the ini-file)

3.- Before to Install Sequence, please install the last drivers from seletek (in case you need it) located here: http://lunatico.es/ourproducts/seletek-armadillo-platypus/moreinfo/firmware-and-software.html

3.1: I have installed: Current version: software 4.5.1 - drivers 2.2 - and firmware 3.3

4.- Install Sequence version: 0.2.0.8

5.- Setup all the parameters

6.- Try to run Autofocus...I hope you have lucky with my help.

Please come back to me if you have more doubts or hesitates.

Best regards,

Luis Romero.

www.astrosirius.org

https://www.flickr.com/photos/llromero/

Thank you so much for that solution astrosirius, it worked great.

I unistalled sequence and deleted the folder, made a completely new .ini file and now the readoutmodes under the CCD setting tab show 1-2-3-4 but as they should, but i do not use them (the checkbox is checked)

The focuser also moves as it should (i hope) i tested the autofocus routine during the day and it seems to control the focus motor as it should!

Big ups!  :D

/Daniel

Hi, yes i am very pleased with me (with a lot of help from you guys!) getting it to work, all that is left is the roof control which www.blueastro.se is going to provide anytime soon i hope. The test images went ok, had to throw away at least one of the images which had a strange small drift? in it. So far, all good.

/Daniel