USB Extenders

wemartin

Question

I have a distance of five metres between the mount and the control pc and I currently use high quality USB extension cables.  The USB hubs in the mount are almost robust enough for this but I have had a lot of problems with USB connections to the mount and to the focuser and camera through the hub connection.  Weird mount behaviour happens occasionally which, if everything is freshly rebooted, goes away for a while.

I have tried active extenders which add another hub to the chain and a CYB Ethernet/USB extender.  The latter won't work with the nested hubs in the mount for the focuser and camera but runs the mount just fine.

Does anyone have any recommendations of USB cable extensions that work reliably?

Bill

5 answers to this question

Hi Bill,

I use an Icron Ranger 2204, without any problems. Expensive, but working and no problems with bandwith for cameras, which is the main problem for most USB/Ethernet 

extenders. The Cat cable between the two units can be extended to 100 meters. I use Cat6 cable instead of Cat5, and have different lenghts for different occasions.

Regards,

Waldemar

Hi Gerald,

Everything,  Camera(s), MicroTouch focusser, Mount, GPS, Joystick, whatever I need.

All are connected via the mount's hub and an extra one.

From the mount 2 USB cables go to the Icron Ranger. From there with a CAT6 cable to the second part of the Ranger set-up.

From that, with one USB cable to my computer wherever I want it.

I like wired connections better than wireless because of the reliabillity and speed. I am always having problems with wireless.

The Ranger is very easy to set-up, just plug and play. 

Regards,

Waldemar