Mount Balance and Motor Settings

john32712

Question

I have a DDM85XL permanently mounted in an observatory. Sitting on the mount is an RCOS with Apogee U42 camera. On top of the RCOS is a Takahashi FSQ with a choice of CCD cameras. I plan to swap cameras on the FSQ since I have large chip (16803) and medium chip (KAF-8300) cameras.

So now here is the question, since the two cameras I have are substantially different in weight, I am assuming that I will only need to rebalance my setup every time I change cameras. Will I have to redo my motor settings also? Do I create two separate profiles for each camera?

Also, I have not seen any great documentation on setting the dec and ra motors with the newer version of sequence. Can anyone provide me with the exact routine one must do to insure perfect motor settings. I know it is automated now, but exactly what steps and order must be accomplished?

Thanks,

John

5 answers to this question

Agree to Roger's suggestion, forget about rebalancing such a big setup every time you change the camera, that will end in a long story... Try to balance it perfectly with the 16803 chip, and then try to get the other's camera weight as close as possible to the bigger camera's.