IC 4721, 4721A, 4720 - work in progress

MarkS

I captured these faint galaxies on my first clear night for months. I was testing a new spacer for the f/6.8 configuration on the ASA10N, and there was not much on offer for this set-up. So I targetted IC 4721 without knowing much about it :mellow:

In the event, it was very windy, and the wind increased through the session - so much that the L subs were spoiled somewhat. (The motor currents varied sharply from 0.6A to 1.8A in the gusts)

This image is thus a work in progress - it is only 2hr RGB binned X2 - which still gives a reasonable plate scale of 1.3"/px. It awaits a good set of Ls. The integrated magnitudes of these galaxies are 12 -13th. Th brightest stars in the image are around 11 mag.

The faint galaxies turned out to be interesting. The largest - IC4721 - is a barred spiral about 90Mly distant, as is the second largest - IC4720. The small jet-like addition to IC 4721 is in fact an elongated elliptical galaxy a further 180Mly distant.

ASA10N at f/6.8; DDM60; STT8300M; Astrodon LRGB filters; 8 X 5min subs each colour; FOV of cropped image ~ 24' X 21'. Seeing poor; SQL 20.8; processed in Pixinsight; finished in PS.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to be a promising work in progress. ¡. I will wait for the ending result ..As you can guess: these galaxies will be consider as little treasures to my eyes..

Not seen ever....

Thanks for showing¡

Antonio

• 3 weeks later...