PC blocked after shutting down autoslew

astrobry

Question

Hello all,

I use the ASA DDM85 mount with CCD-commander, The Sky 6, MaximDL, ASCOM an autoslew. I have a problem that when closing of a observationsession. In CCD comander i select in the setup, the software The Sky 6.0 as mount controllling . In The Sky i set the controlling via the Ascom astroptik driver. I use this method because I can use an automatic calculation of the real coordinates of comets, this can be done there CCD-commander uses the database of comets of the Sky 6.0.

As I have done an observedsession and I close the programs, then the PC is completely blocked.(what i clos first is shutting down the ASCOM connection in The Sky, then shutting down MaximDL, next The Sky and last autoslew). After some time (about 1 minute or so) the PC is colpletely blocked.  I am obliged to reboot the PC by a hardware reset. The PC is running under window 8. This is not always easy, there are a lot of programms still running on the PC where USB ports are involved, such allsky camera, IP camera and the cloud watcher .. I use my observatory as a remote observatory. So I must give always a hard-reset of the PC to restart afterwards. The Everything start-up again .  I do not know exactly what causes it is, but it used before 10micron mount and i didn't had this problem, only what has changed on the system is the replacement of the 10micron by ASA mount. (10 micron was controlled by serial communication) Someone also this experience and what to do? I changed the USB-calbe, also installed a powered USB hub as well, but nothing changed in the positive way.

Also i have parking issues as mentioned before in this forum, but i hink this is more an issue for CCD-commander.

thanking in advance.

Erik

2 answers to this question

Hi Erik

My problem isn't quite that bad but every time I'll try to turn off the computer, there will be some programs blocking Windows (7) from turning off. I can continue after clicking "Yes" to the message:  "some programs still running, are you sure you want W to be turned off".

The problem surfaces when using the setup remotely (backyard :) ). Mainly because a laptop can't be rebooted remotely by turning the power off, and the remote net access will be shut down among the first programs.

However, I can bypass the issue (almost always) by carefully turning off all the programs in a certain order. Besides I don't think it's a ASA software related issue in my case but Windows.That is the main reason for buying a new computer (not a laptop) which can always be rebooted by turning the power off remotely if needed.

Best regards

Jay 

P.S. started thinking about the order of closing different programs and mine is a bit different than yours. I use MaxPilote for controlling all the other programs and always close down that first. Then usually Sequence, Autoslew (turn off the motors), MaximDL, FocuxMax, SkyX and finally turn off the Autolew completely. Also need to close the Seletek focus control and AAG cloudwatcher separately. I don't touch the Ascom connection and the POTH hub will be turned off automatically when closing down the all the software. 

Edited by Jay

Couple of things came into my mind that might cause problems since you didn't have them before....

• Sequence should always be disconnected first before closing other programs. 
  • Never close the POTH hub connection "manually". It will shut down automatically when (other) programs are closed down. I assume you're using POTH hub with the Sky ?

At least in my system those functions have given me some hard time. 

Jay