pier side confusion and home find markings

prefetch

Question

so i've recently moved my DDM85 into an observatory, and it's creating a lot of re-learning and new challenges for me.

[EDIT: k, forget the home find markings - i got that figured out.]

here's what i did:

1) factory reset on autoslew.

2) set my location

3) manually slewed to zenith, pier on east side

4) synched that to park position 1

5) did a homefind

these steps are just what the autoslew manual tells you to do when you first get the DDM85 (except for the factory reset.)

so...

this is what happens next.  i try to set my 2nd parking position and then things get weird.

i try to manually slew to the correct location for my setup to close the observatory (the skylight) and, well, a picture is worth 1,000 words:

q71nqPz.jpg

everything looks fine, right?

well, i keep slewing to get the scope to fit under the skylight and...PierSide changes!!??

Y0eCrVi.jpg

seems like as soon as i pass about 41 degrees altitude (which is where polaris is for me) then the system decides that it's on the west side, which is obviously incorrect.

any ideas what's going on here?  

Edited by prefetch

2 answers to this question

well, i fixed it.  i still don't really understand why the pierside is wrong, but i got it to park where i needed it.

here's what i did:

i ignored the seemingly incorrect pierside indicator, and went ahead and manually slewed it to the place i needed it.  after that, i set the park position, and then instead of clicking on the "east" side where it actually was in reality, i went ahead and played along with what autoslew thought, and clicked the "west" side and saved the position:

aRO3AaG.jpg

and after i did that, it all seems to work now - except that it sort of lies about the east/west thing still when it parks, but as long as it goes where i need it to go, i guess i'm okay with all that.

i sent an email to support, so maybe someone from ASA will explain why it does it what it does.