Pointing accuracy

GeorgeCarey

Question

My homemade 10" scope had a plastic tube and I never got good pointing accuracy. The tube had considerable flexure.

My new scope has a very solid carbon fibre tube and I made a 40 star pointing model with Sequence.

Pointing is now excellent. I slewed to 5 stars and M31 and these are the results.

(I forgot to turn the observatory light off for M31, hence the fog).

How does this compare with your setup?

pointing2.jpg

3 answers to this question

Hi George,

can you please indicate the field of view shown in the images above ? This makes it easier to compare pointing results.

Up to now, I never tested pointing accuracy of my (totally mobile) setup. On the other hand, its really time to do this just to know about the results, and even to do a hysteresis measurement (which helps to determine effectiveness of a 10-40 star pointing model).

I will perform these tests, and report results. Might take some time due to weather conditions here...

Regards

Martin

George,

I'm using a 200 point model (created with Sequence) and the pointing accuracy is flawless. Meaning that all the stars are exactly in the middle of the crosshair with the Veloce RH200 scope (very stiff setup). If I recall correctly , the pointing accuracy with the 40 point model was very good also but didn't split the star every time. 

P.S. I don't think field of view has much meaning when comparing pointing results with stars, unless you're way off of course.

Edited by Jay