MLTP general question

Daniel Schmid

Does anyone know if the performance of MLTP is affected by the general pointing model in use or if MLTP is only using the local pointing measurements?

I am quite happy with MLTP with exposures of up to 6 minutes. For longer exposures (10 and more minutes) it seems to be a bit less reliable sometimes but not always. Therefore it would be nice to know if there is a chance of improvement with a larger general pointing model.

Hi Daniel,

I experienced bad mlpt runs with bad pointing files. I am not sure, but I gues MLPT is jet another parameter of the pointing correction, so if the overall correction is quite good, MLPT makes it better. But if it is quite bad, it makes it better only that much... Not sure if this is always the case, though.

Hi Daniel,

I use MLPT without any pointing-file (despite the three-star pointing-file used for polar alignment). I would recommend to try that first before using a new/larger pointing file in case you have inconsistent tracking.

Please keep us posted with regards to your findings,

Robert

Lukas, Daniel,

I can confirm to statements given by Robert and Mark, I often use only the 3 star PA routine, too. Out in the fields, a big pointing file delays the start of intended imaging, and MLPT works precise, even when comet tracking is activated in addition.

Flexure changes, due to temperatures falling, might be the cause of tracking problems during long exposures, when MLPT is setup for more than 60 minutes.

Daniel, did you ever check for changed flexure after 10 degrees lower environmental temperature ?

Regards

Martin

I'm using rather large pointing model (200 points) and MLPT at the same time with no problems. Corrections made by the MLPT seem to be rather small but still have an effect.

I did try the 3-star PA routine + MLPT when setting up the system this fall with excellent results. Tried first how well it would track with just the 3-star model, and the results were not very good. Then added MLPT (120 min/10 points) and the tracking was excellent after that. 

Jay

Edited by Jay

Just to be clear ....I never disable the general pointing model when using the MLPT.

I have a feeling that the MLPT works better (you need less MLPT points for a good result)  if there is a solid general pointing model used at the same time. That would mean that the MLPT points are added to the general model. However, that is just a feeling because have never really made any comparison.

Welll.. I just image with MLPT and Sequencer all over the night in a remote-robotic observatory ....without any problems at all. I always use a full model of the sky and MLPT.. , but this is just a personal taste.. I like to have always a previous model for the whole Sky. 

My subframes are always into the range of 10-15 minutes LRGB and 20-30 minutes narrowband. No problems at all. Perfect round stars. If you experience problems I will re-check the hardware area ( balance, counterweights, motors parameters) and , of course... mirror movements or focuser sights... Most of my initial problems came for movements of primary mirror (in case of a reflector)....

Just my two cents...

CS ¡

Antonio

Edited by afesan

My understanding of MLPT is that it creates a pointing model with points along the path followed by the imaged target. This target-specific pointing model is then used during the imaging session in place of the existing pointing model.

The better is the existing pointing model, the closer from the best trajectory are the points found by MLPT, the best accuracy is got for the tracking.

Hope this helps your understanding.

Bernard