Polar Alignment - weird behaviour

markusblauensteiner

Question

Hi!

In the last few weeks i could manage to get my setup to my new observatory. One night, i did the polar alignment like described in the manual - making a pointing with 5 stars, centering star at south, use the polar alignment function. Worked very well! But i could not finish, because fog came in.

Yesterday i wanted to continue. I made a pointing at the east side (means tube on west side of pier) with 5 stars, old configuartion was deleted.

I moved to a star in the south - but when i pressed "move star now", the mount wanted to do that from the west side. Means, it wanted to do a meridian flip. I had to interrupt that because of the cabling.

So, this behaviour is new to me, it did not do that last time. I did not change anything...

In Autoslew - flip options - i tried "stay on side", "ask" and "prefer west". It is always the same - when checking "ask", it asks before every move, but not when moving the star at the polar function.

Just doing homefind and slew to any object is ok, without problems.

The GPS-stick does not work, but time and location are ok.

Any ideas?

Best regards, Markus

2 answers to this question

Hi Bill,

i did. But i think i found my mistake. Because i have a special pier now (like ASA sells it, i dont know how to call it in English) i thought it would be nice, if the mount slews to EVERY object from the east side. So i told the mount "make a meridian flip if the object is 90 degrees away from the meridian". But, this was wrong, because then the mount will slew to each object from the west side. If you do the pointing, Autoslew asks before every slew (i wondered why). But when you press "move star now", Autoslew doesn't ask and because of my mistake, it wanted to move from the west side.

Markus