Condensation on DDM60 pro

kruno

Question

Hello everybody!

Is there any danger of mailfunctioning the DDM60 pro mount due to condensation?

I use it in the field, without a dome, so I cannot avoid condensation without some heating. The shape of the mount is not suitable for standard heating tapes, so I should manage some other way of heating. Do you have any suggestions?

Or, may I just ignore it ?

Thanks !

8 answers to this question

I can't speak for the DDM60, but my DDM85 never has a problem with condensation. The motors and electronics inside seem to generate enough heat to keep the housing dry.

I observe sever condensation only on the counterweights+shaft and on the telescope tube.

Best regards,

Gerhard

I've never had any issues with condensation with my DDM60. I have an observatory but the mount is fully exposed to the temperature changes and condensation.

Best regards

Jay

P.S. I live in Finland and weather conditions are rather harsh. 

Thanks to all !

I usually used DDM60 during the summer, and I never had any condesation at all. However, I recently used it in, obviously, very wet conditions, so that in 30 minutes everything was completelly wet, including the ddm 60, and I aborted the session. But, It seems now that it was just a bad luck.

I plan to use the DDM60 this winter, so I wanted to be shure that I won't do any harm to my precious.

Once again, thanks to your replies !

regards,

Kruno

Hi Luke,

I've had very heavy condensation, which caused me to terminate a session because the laptop had water running off the screen  - potentially into the computer itself - and the refractor I was using(OS130) fogged completely...... There were no problems with the DDM60.

Regards,

Mark

Edited by MarkS

Hi Kruno,

like you and some others, I use my DDM60 in the field every time. Up to now, there have been no problems at all due to any condensation, or moisture... or even these transformed to frost during the night.

Some times, the most critical moments are when carrying the mount back from the tripod to the car in the dawn: I had to wipe dry the mount to reduce the risk that it would slip out of my hands then.

Kind regards

Martin