Problems with built in USB hub

pesa

Question

Hi

I have camera (atik), focuser (lakeside) and filterwheel (SX) attached to computer through the DDM-60's built-in HUB.

Camera freezed sometimes, same with focuser and filter Wheel.

Atik forum blåmes the hub, "attach to computer directly instead of via hub and you get no problems", its true I get fewer problems that way but at the price of Cable entaglement.

Do any of you recognize having problems with the built-in hub?

Even better would be if someone actually knows whats going on with USB.... Many ppl have problems with hubs in general, why IS that?

Some hubs works better,true, but once you have a good hub (as I suppose is inside DDM60 Pro) is it really up to programmer (weather using virtual com port or straight USB) to do something special when a hub is attached??

And for that matter EVERYONE runs usb-hubs wether they are aware of it or not since there is an internal hub in the pc.

Is it 2 ubs after each other that is the problem? The standard says that you can stack up to 4 hubs.

If anyone can shed the smallest amount of light I'd be grateful

Pelle

3 answers to this question

Hi Pelle,

Most of the so called "hub problems" are in fact cable problems. Many commercial cables are of very poor quality and not suited for these kind of applications.

Interferences caused by other usb or power cables are very often the root cause of a whole lot of problems.

Use high quality grade cables: double shielded, metal jacket, gold plated and as short as possible. Do NOT use extension cables, not even the 'powered' ones.

Instead use an Icron Ranger, even if the distance you have to cover is only a few meters.

Regards,

Waldemar 

Hi Pelle

Can't help you much about the technical questions but I have a DDM60 Pro with built-in USB hubs also.

Used to have some "lost connection" problems but after creating a light pressure to both USB cables attached to the mount hub(s)....so that the cable won't be able to move e.g. because of temperature changes etc...., I haven't suffered any connection problems. It seems that the UBS cable connection to the hub is quite sensitive and even very small movements (of the cable) can cause problems sometime. 

Don't really know if that was the cause of those connection problems but haven't had any issues for a long time.

Jay

Hi
Atik must have a power greater than 12V! (12,5V to 13,5V) then it works fine. Check it.
DDM60 pro must also work at a voltage higher than 12V. My work at 12,5V. If it worked  for 11.8v badly  USB HUB's pluck CONNECTIONS - "USB comunications LOST" camera, mount, focuser hang up.
The USB cable also should be as short as possible and thick.

Adamo