Astrometry.net instead of pinpoint?

Corpze

Daniel,

you can set up astrometry.net in local, but Sequencer won't use it right now. By the way, it is - in my experience - usually slower than Pinpoint as long as the FOV is halfway there. If your pointing is completely off, Astrometry works better....

Daniel,

you can set up astrometry.net in local, but Sequencer won't use it right now. By the way, it is - in my experience - usually slower than Pinpoint as long as the FOV is halfway there. If your pointing is completely off, Astrometry works better....

You say "right now" - is there something on its way?

Well, i havent used Ponpoint so i cant compare the speed, but is it worth the money?

Well, I dunno if Philipp Keller will ever implement Astrometry.net instead of Pinpoint. I actually treid both, here is what I would say about them:

Pinpoint:

• Very fast if the pointing is halfway correct (say, not off by more then twice the FOV)
  • Doesn't need a lot of resources (basically only the catalogue)
  • Can use it for astrometry in all forms, supported by most software packages

Astrometry.net:

• Relatively slow - well, slower than Pinpoint when the coordinates are not off by alot. If the pointing is completely off, Astrometry.net will give you a good result after some time, whereas Pinpoint will fail
  • Needs quite some data: You have to download their database, which - depending on your FOV and resolution might be quite some GBs of data
  • Is computationally intensive
  • Is free :)

I actually used Astrometry.net for first pointings when my system was far off from where it should have been, otherwise I am just happy with PinPoint. If you are going to do some research in astrometry (comets, asteroids and so on), then IMHO it is well worth the money. Astrometry.net might be a good alternative, as would a similar package from Planewave be. It all depends on the support coming from Sequence.exe to use those tools...