Polar alignment

GeorgeCarey

Question

Having taken my mount off the pier and replacing it I have to do a new polar alignment.

The manual still says use 4 stars, but after calculating the pointing file the top option for polar alignment says '3 stars'.

Which is it?

I am assuming that the star chosen for the polar alignment 'move' should be due South and at the same altitude as my latitude (52 degrees).

Is this still the best option?

3 answers to this question

Hi George,

For PA, I always use the 3 star same DEC option, as was recommended by Philipp some time ago.

The PA star should be as you describe. I get good results if the star is within 5 degrees from the meridian, and within 5 degrees of my latitude.

I usually don't bother to get better than ~1-2 arcmin on each axis. MLPT easily deals with that error.

Mark

Good morning: I have a huge problem with the polar aligned, no access my observatory south or east, so I have just west and north and not all grades from 40th impossible to access the stars.

Align 3 star and I can not tell a star south to align. This makes it impossible to govern the saddle. Could you give me some solution?