Using DDM mounts remotely

GeorgeCarey

Question

I spoke to someone at an astronomy show recently who was trying to set up a DDM85 remotely in Spain (we are in the UK).

He was having such difficulty that he was considering selling the DDM and getting an alternative.

His biggest problem was in doing the Homefind at the start of the session. Nearly always it failed and needed someone to manually move the scope.

Can someone familiar with remote operation give a description of the startup sequence?

Do you leave the mount powered up all the time?

A manual homefind is obviously not practical - how do you do the homefind?

George

20 answers to this question

George,

I do not have the experience from remote operations, but I know that ASA has had two remote setups (in Spain), Geralds 8" hyperbolic and Wolfgangs 20" - so asking ASA might help.

Regarding the homefind if the mount is left in the same position as as when finnishing the last section the DDM will remember and no homefind would be necessary. If I would do a remote setup I would leave the PC on (always) and also leave the DDM powered at all times (obviously leaving tracking off). But I do not know how feasable that is?

Try to ping Gerald, Wolfgang or Karel offline. They all use (have used) remote setups. There might be others.

If you get an answer I would def be interested to know.

BR

Matts

I use it remotely. My DDM85 is sited 500 km far away from my home at North of Spain (Torrelavega) . The remote observatory is sited near the Monfragüe National Park with 21-21.7 skies. (Malpartida de Plasencia, Caceres ). I must drive over 5 hours to reach the observatory  ^_^ ...

The observatoy is roll-roof type. I usually park the mount at an specific position that pulses roof relays and then..roof is closed. I open the roof remotely with Ippower units by Internet or even with a mobile phone.

Mount is switched off and parked, As it is equilibrated with the telescope and CCD ...mount keeps perfectly parked.. When I want to begin a session..I open the roof... switch on remotely the  mount and by means o Teamviewer software.. looking through a webcam very  sensitive sited inside the observatory.. I use Autoslew  in order to move the mount aproximately to the zenith. Then I click Homefind and in few seconds the mount finds the exact values. Then I open a planetary programm (The SKy6) and synchronize with a near star. From this moment..I can begin any astronomical session automatically ( Used ACP and CCDAutopilot) 

I just invert about 1 minute to be perfectly synchro and ready .....

I am working this way since November 2011 without any kind of problems... 

When session ends ..mount is automatically parked.. roof is closed ans relays switched off. You don´t need to permanently have the mount power on ¡¡

Where`s the problem?... I never understand it..

Many other Spanish ASA users works in this way ..as Antonio Pérez,etc... No problems at all.

Best Regards

Antonio F. Sanchez

http://afesan.es

Edited by afesan

Thanks Antonio.

When you switch on the power to the mount I assume that Autoslew then does a magnetic angle find?

I suspect that his problem may be that if a good magnetic angle is not found then he has difficulty getting the mount near the homefind position.

There was a rumour that ASA were going to have a new startup procedure that did not need a magnetic angle find - anyone know any more about this?

George

Yes, George.. A magnetic angle find is done when motors are swirched ON in Autoslew. Just some seconds. After that.. I move mount freely to zenith and finally I clock Homefind.

Never experienced problems with magnetic angle..

Last news I have is related with a new Sequence and Autoslew. Some users demands a way of using MLPT over two meridians in an unattendant session....

This is my main target for my all over night robotic sessions..Fortunately it seems Mr. keller is working on this ..

BR

Antonio

Hello,

i do like Antonio, but i have set the Park2-position near the homefind-position, so moving "by hand" is not necessary, i'm starting autoslew, motors are started automatically, then clicking on park2 & goto, then do a homefind, ...ready.

Edited by gmalits

Yep..I know.. but due to the observatory space and characteristics...I use park2 position horizontal to the floor of observatory..My park position 2 is used with a flat lightsheet in the observatory wall   :mellow: ,...so not near Homefind. Park position 1 (main) is also parallel to the floor (in order to close roof and don´t damage telescope when roof is close and to actiavte closing relays.

In the ASA manual PARK 2 is suggested to be near Homefind...,certainly...., but I use it for flats. I would wish  to  have some extra PARK (definible) positions in Autoslew ..  Certainly this 3 PARK position could be used as you describe. but for my particular interest..I prefer to have flats lightsheet and telescope perfectly prealigned with this PARK2 position... 

BR Antonio

ah, ok,.... I mounted the EL-foil for flats at park -pos 1 .... but its also possible to play around with the settings for max travel in degrees (and speed) for the homefind to directly homefind from park-pos1, but will take a lot of time, only good for full automation without monitoring via webcam..

Edited by gmalits

Hi,

I am using a remote setup. I hardly do a homefind. Only when there was a problem at forehand.

When you have done a homefind once, synched on a centered star and done a set new homeposition then you should be fine and no need for homefind any more. After parking the mount and either keep the power one or switch off power and on again when you restart (unfortunately with magnetic angle find, which could go wrong), you should be able to immediately start from the parkposition to your first object. I sometimes do a platesolve for the first object, but then no more.

I run my remote observatory since nearly 2 years in this way.

SHould work for you too.

Each night a homefind is not practical. I use CDCommander for automatic positioning and do about 500-800 images a night of various variable stars. I sleep during the operation.

Regards,

Josch

I am using DDM85 remotelly for 2 years now. Without any problems. Works really great.

My workflow:

1. Power ON / open roof

2. Motor ON (magnetic angles found - never miss)

3. Click Homefind (automatically moving 90 degrees up from park possition - declination axis)

4. I don't need additional aligning with stars. Positioning is always perfect (a few arc sec error max)

5. Start MaximDL and harvest photons ;)

I don't using any guiding, MLPT, etc. Pure tracking with perfect 10 min. subs (100% frames efficiency on ASA 10" with FLI ML8300 - 1,2 arc-sec per pixel).

Adam

Hi All,

Thanks for this discussion, it is very timely as I am in the process of setting up a DDM85 Premium for remote imaging with the observatory 3 hours drive away.  I utilise CCDAutoPilot to do remote imaging all night. I also use The SkyX. How do I get CCDAutoPilot  to automatically park the scope at the end of the nights imaging at the Park2 position, which is setup on my mount to be near the HomeFind position so that the mount will quickly and easily find the Homefind position again???  In the Southern Hemisphere, my mount needs the counterweight shaft to be pointing to the West and almost horizontal, with the scope pointing to the South at about 60 degrees elevation. How does CCDAutoPilot know to use the Park2 position (as opposed to the other available Park positions that can be set in AutoSlew?) for parking the mount. I tried setting a Park position using The SkyX's  "set park position" command, but that seemed to make the mount go weird.....I find it OK to do a Homefind before each run being set and started in CCDAutoPilot, but as I do this usually before it gets dark, I don't find it convenient/easy to have to do a synch before commencing imaging. Is a  synch required again and again  with a permanent setup??

I would  also highly value the ability to utilise MLPT on multiple targets automatically and remotely through the night using CCDAutoPilot. I hope Philipp Keller is working on automating the MLPT process, so that it can be called up as a routine at the start of a target light run within CCDAutoPilot. 

Many thanks,

Tim

Edited by TimC

Hi,

I use a remote site very far away from home.

I only use homefind when mount was switched off or if e.g. there was a problem with power cuts or otherwise.

I have PARK 2 close to homefind position. So when the mount is in Park 1 position and was switched off, I switche it on and start AS. This makes an magnetic angle find. This does not always give good results and I sometimes have to redo this angle find as it does not find the direction of movement. If a good angle is found, then I select PARK2 and slew to it. Then I do a homefrind. As I did once a set new homeposition, I do not need to sync a star after the homefind. You only need to do that once and afterwards do a set new homeposition. From then on a homefind should work without synching a star.

Then I can start the session.

If the mount at end of session is parked and next night no problem observed then I do not do a homefind and start immediately from park position. I normally do a plate solve for the first star instead using Pinpoint (LE) within MAXIM and CCDCommander. I am running my remote site since 2 years and as said in the beginning only when problems occur, I do need a homefind. Most of the time I start from park immediately the session. And I have 300+ clear nights.

Regards,

Josch

Hi Tom,

synching a star is only neded once or if you loose position (which sometimes happens).

All other times you could start directly from park position.

If CCDAutopilot is only recognizing one Park positon (and probably PARK1, like e.g. CCDCOmmnader) then just use Park1 as your park position.

I have no problems with CCDC or ACP to go to Park 1 after a session is finished.

I am not using CCDAP as it is too clumpsy for my application CCDC is much simpler and easier to adapt in my case.

Josch

Thanks very much Josch. I see that you leave the mount switched on for prolonged perioids of time. I will de-power the mount to save electricity in betwwen session as we are on off-grid solar power only as no main power is present at our site. I  think it will work out fine with doing a homefind and I am pleased there is no need to do any further synch's once the "Set ne homeposition" has been done once.

Regards,

Tim

Ascom knows only one homefind method.

This will always slew to Park1. There is no option to slew to Park2 by Ascom.

A new Sequence Version is beeing tested by some users which allowe entering multiple targets, autofocusing etc. with MLPT.

When everything is error free, it will be released. I am using it on my 80cm telescope since 100 nights now (www.chart32.de)

Hi All,

Thanks for this discussion, it is very timely as I am in the process of setting up a DDM85 Premium for remote imaging with the observatory 3 hours drive away.  I utilise CCDAutoPilot to do remote imaging all night. I also use The SkyX. How do I get CCDAutoPilot  to automatically park the scope at the end of the nights imaging at the Park2 position, which is setup on my mount to be near the HomeFind position so that the mount will quickly and easily find the Homefind position again???  In the Southern Hemisphere, my mount needs the counterweight shaft to be pointing to the West and almost horizontal, with the scope pointing to the South at about 60 degrees elevation. How does CCDAutoPilot know to use the Park2 position (as opposed to the other available Park positions that can be set in AutoSlew?) for parking the mount. I tried setting a Park position using The SkyX's  "set park position" command, but that seemed to make the mount go weird.....I find it OK to do a Homefind before each run being set and started in CCDAutoPilot, but as I do this usually before it gets dark, I don't find it convenient/easy to have to do a synch before commencing imaging. Is a  synch required again and again  with a permanent setup??

I would  also highly value the ability to utilise MLPT on multiple targets automatically and remotely through the night using CCDAutoPilot. I hope Philipp Keller is working on automating the MLPT process, so that it can be called up as a routine at the start of a target light run within CCDAutoPilot. 

Many thanks,

Tim

Hi,

any news about the present and beta software versionsß Whne will the new versions (now in beta test) be releasedß What has and will be changed as the info on the ASA website is outdated. I am using V5.1.1.2 without problems remotely.

Veriosn 5.1.1.6 is on the ASA website but no info what is changed compared to V5.1.1.2.

Regards,

Josch