Loss connectivity USB when mount vibrates

astrosirius

Question

Hello to everybody

I am having a lot of problems with the loss of connectivity...I have changed my computer as per a new one, I also bought and installed an Icron, after this changes, the problem continues having the same problem, so I decided to change all the USB cables with golden plating...but the problem still.

Somebody can help even the ASA people?

The problem is this one:

Each time the mount through the meridian makes a humming sound or even vibrating, it's just in that point when sometimes USB connection lost.

Since the mount arrived on Sep 2015 I could not do anything and I begin to giving up.
Somebody can help me?

Note: I attached some picture to show you my installation...maybe you can find something to help. The computer is around 4 mts from the Pier.

Best regards
Lluis Romero

IMG_1216.JPG

IMG_1501 (2).JPG

IMG_1502.JPG

IMG_1506.JPG

6 answers to this question

Hi,

When I first got my DDM85 I had it mounted on a tripod, it also gave humming sounds passing the meridian, I had no connection lost though. I then fixed a solid custom pier and the humming sound was gone, so I recomend you try to make your pier more solid if that could be a indirect course of the problem. Later I had USB connection lost problem using a USB Ranger(fiber) wich I had not expected, changing the USB cables fixed that problem. 

BR,

/Christer

Hi,

When I first got my DDM85 I had it mounted on a tripod, it also gave humming sounds passing the meridian, I had no connection lost though. I then fixed a solid custom pier and the humming sound was gone, so I recomend you try to make your pier more solid if that could be a indirect course of the problem. Later I had USB connection lost problem using a USB Ranger(fiber) wich I had not expected, changing the USB cables fixed that problem. 

BR,

/Christer

Hi Christer, 

Thanks a fot for your comments, I appreciate too much your suggestions. I will take into consideration, first of all I want to check first the configuration for the high speed passing the meridian.

Br,

Lluis

My experience is with the DDM60, but I think it's a similar issue.

Tuning my system indoors on a wooden floor, I found it impossible to avoid some vibriation during slewing, for any reasonable tuning parameters. There were two causes: the flexibility of the floor(!), and the tripod.

The cure for the first is obvious, but the second problem required a new tripod.

In any event, it is worth checking the tuning (PID) numbers. Provided the system settles in a reasonable time after a slew, there seems little point in having the parameters too stiff.

Mark

My experience is with the DDM60, but I think it's a similar issue.

Tuning my system indoors on a wooden floor, I found it impossible to avoid some vibriation during slewing, for any reasonable tuning parameters. There were two causes: the flexibility of the floor(!), and the tripod.

The cure for the first is obvious, but the second problem required a new tripod.

In any event, it is worth checking the tuning (PID) numbers. Provided the system settles in a reasonable time after a slew, there seems little point in having the parameters too stiff.

Mark

Hello Mark,

I will revise the (PID) configuration this weekend, I prefer to be in the observatory personally, because at 200 km from home vía remote control is not easy to evaluate the (PID), I need to be there to hear the humming sound.

Clear Skies

Lluis

http://www.flickr.com/photos/llromero/

Lluis,

Try different usb cables, and usb hubs in case the tuning doesnt help. Do you loose all connected usb devices or just the mount?

Hello Lukas,

I loose all the connected USB devices, not only the mount.

This weekend I have removed the USB cables connected to the CCD and the focuser and I have installed this device: http://www.silexeurope.com/en/home/products/usb-device-servers/sx-ds-4000u2.html  that is much better than the Icron, the problem have been solved, but still the mount lost the USB near the meridian, but I think is an issue adjusting the calibration of the motors.

What a pitty...but the USB devices that are included in the DEC are really not functional, I have planning to buy another Silex to connect the Mount directly removing the Icron, this device is much quick and a reliable.

I will keep you informed about my evolution.

Best regards

Lluis Romero.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/llromero/

http://www.astrosirius.org/