What are minimum compter specs needed to run the software?

MikePaling

Question

Hi folks ...

I want to prepare the ground ready for the arrival of my gleaming new DDM60 mount ... hopefully this will arrive in a couple of months :-)

Can anybody tell me what the specifications might be for a computer/laptop/tablet needed to run the software???

I have looked all over the ASA web site and can't find any information at all about this :-(

Regards Mike

17 answers to this question

Hi Mike,

the minimum requirements to run the mount seem to be rather low.

I'm currently setting up a very low-end micro-PC that I plan to keep permanently installed at the mount rather then connecting my laptop each time.

I've bought an Orbsmart mini PC:

http://www.orbsmart.com/products/orbsmart-aw-05-plus/

updated it to win10 and installed all the software that I need: autoslew, Sequence, MaximDL, PinPoint, The Sky 6, RoboFocus, Ascom, CCD Inspector, CCD Commander, Teamviewer, USB focus, QSC-focus and probably something else that I've forgotten.

A first test to remotely control the mount was successfull and I hope to be able to provide more experiences soon.

However, if you're planning to also use the PC for image processing or controlling e.g. a planetary cam like the Zwo 174, then I would recommend to aim for an i7 with 8 Gig of Ram and a bigger SSD. As you need several programms running in parallel to control the DDM60 and your camera, I would recommend to get a screen with at least full hd display to be able to arrange all relevant windows in a convenient way.

Best regards,

Robert

Many thanks for your thoughts and suggestions ..... please keep them coming :-)

I want to be as "future proof" as possible with this.

Robert ..... regarding your thoughts about using the "PC for image processing" .... I am a complete novice to this side of things :-(

When I get my new DDM60 I initially intend to use it for visual use until I get to know how it all works. After this I very much would like to get into digital imaging ... but I suspect it will be a steep learning curve for me!

I have been assuming when I get as far digital imaging I would be getting a CCD camera that downloaded to a USB stick which would allow me to take the data to my PC desktop inside my house totally separate from any controlling device being used on the mount & scope ....... am I missing something here???

Regards Mike

Hi Mike,

will you be using the DDM60 in a permanent setup (e.g. in a dome or rolloff-observatory) or will it be a mobile setup? For a mobile setup, a portable PC would be the right choice.

As you are planning to use the mount visually only at least in the beginning, the system requirements are very low and you should be able to use more or less any PC or laptop that has win7 or newer running.

Even for astro-imaging, you won't need a high performance PC to controll the mount and the CCD and store the images during the imaging session, as long as you have a decent desktop PC to do the CPU- and memory-intense image processing.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Hi Robert ...

Thanks again for taking time to send me a reply :-)

I am planning to have a permanent set-up but haven't made my mind up yet about what sort of "shelter" I will be having.

I do have a high spec desktop PC that will easily cope with any sort of image processing that I want to throw at it .... but I want to keep this in the warmth of my house !

It is the hardware at the mount/scope end that I am trying to decide about.

Regards Mike

The best option for the situation you describe is an Icron Ranger 2204 (or 2304). This is an USB extender over cat cable also available for optic cable.

With a cat 5e or higher cable you can cover a distance of 100 meters, with optic cable 300 meters is the max.

Works flawlessly. Plug and Play. The 2304 is capable of USB 3, 2 and 1.1 without any delay. Expensive but it works!

Powered USB cables do very often present a lot of problems, especially if you are planning on buying a small pixel cam, because of the amount and speed of sensitive to interference data you need to transport. Another thing:  use as short as possible professional USB cables, with double shielding, metal jacket and goldplated contacts.

Regards,

Waldemar

Hi Waldemar ...

Thanks for this .... after reading your message I have been reading up about the Icron Ranger products on the 'net.

Bearing in mind that, at the minute, I know almost zero about computer control of telescopes and operating CCD cameras ..... am I correct in thinking that the Icron Ranger is something that will link my PC (inside my house) remotely to the DDM60 mount ..... and any CCD equipment that I end up getting?

If this is correct ... what are the advantages of doing it this way compared with downloading data from the CCD camera to a USB memory stick and then uploading to my home PC later for image processing?

Regards Mike

Yes that is correct Mike, it will enable you to do everything from within the warm environment of your house.

It links everything you need to your comp in the house: the mount, the camera(s), filterwheel just name it.

You will be able to remotely control everything, within the working distance of your Icron Ranger.

Another option would be using teamviewer to control the óutside'computer through the in house one, but you will need an internet connection on both computers for that

The great advantage of the Icron is that you need only one computer. If you want to download on a stick first, you will need to have a computer outside, won't you?

On top of that you will need a fast high end stick or mobile HDD to store all the information fast and accurate.

You are in for a steep learning curve... Many things are not as easy as they look. But giving it some time and patience, you will have a lot of fun !

Regards,

Waldemar

Actually you do not need an internet connection at all to run Teamviewer. I have Cat6 network cables running from my house to the observatory. Teamviewer has a setting to allow "LAN connections only". With a gigabit LAN connection it works so fast that you can't even tell that you are actually operating a remote computer! Also the image quality is excellent.

Ian

I think you will not find a slow PC that will not run Autoslew. Autoslew and Sequenz are running since years on my Win XP Prof. PC with a single core 2.8GHz CPU and just 2 GB RAM. Most mobile phones have more power :) But I never faced any problem with it.

Regards,

Michael

Hi,

I use also a Mini PC. It's based on a Intel Celeron Dual Core 1,3 Mhz with 4 MB Ram.

All Software I needed is working flawlessly and simultaneously :

- Autoslew

- Sequenz

- MaximDL 5.24

- PinPoint

- TheSky6

- Focusmax 

- Teamviewer

- Ascom6

- etc.

I like those MiniPC in addition to a laptop. With the laptop and teamviewer I run the MiniPC remotely from inside my apartment (LAN), or in the field from a caravan or tent (WLAN). 

Here is a picture of the miniPC I've mounted in a box.

Steuerung u.Stromversorgung_beschriftet_Bildgröße ändern.jpg

Edited by tbaehnck

Hi tbaehnck ..... (sorry, but I don't know your real name)

Many thanks for your contribution to this discussion.

I am not too sure if I will ever get into remote control of my future set-up from the warmth of my own home ... but you never know .... perhaps one day when I get used to how things work!

I am assuming that the use of a miniPC (like yours) is being used as some sort of link between your scope&mount and your laptop which is being controlled from somewhere else?

Is there any advantage of using a laptop and a miniPC, side by side, inside the actual observatory that I am not aware of at this moment? Maybe as an extra memory storage when taking digital images perhaps???

Regards Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes you are right, its a link between the mount and the laptop. It stands right beside the pier.

So it doesn't matter how far I will be away. If you are not planing to do something like this, I don't see any advantage for you. A laptop or netbook will work fine also.

If I'm using laptops I always use them to surf the internet etc. So I have to use additional programs like firewalls or antivirus Software, wich I don't need and like to have on my dedicated astro pc . Thats all.

Best regards

Thomas