pointing file with several stars

cfm2004

Hi, with my new setup (http://www.mazzottiefigli.com/cfm2004/strumenti_file/130+pentax.jpg) I did a pointing file with 25 stars. I chose stars between 60 and 20 degrees above the horizon for 360 degrees of sky. I am able to take 10 minute unguided image in this area of the sky, but if I try to take image between 90 and 60 degrees above the horizon (near zenith) stars are a bit elongated (I think it is a flexure).

Now I ask myself: Should  I do a new pointing file with more stars, including stars in this area of sky, or could I add stars of this area of sky in my actual pointing file? I use only autoslew, not sequence.

Best regards,

Cristina

Hi Cristina,

I would recommend using Sequence as it is very simple to make new pointing files with as many stars you want either automatically distributed by the software or manually by you.

You could start with your present configuration and do a new file with Sequence and use it from now on as replacement. I am not sure if you can add stars to a pointing file in a region of the sky you formerly ignored.

Anyway Sequence is the way to go for pointing.

The only drawback is that you need pinpoint, but that also makes it very powerful. Worth the investment into Pinpoint.

REgards,

Josch

Thank you very much Josh.

In the past two years I have always used only Autoslew with good result (15 minutes unguided images for focal length of 500mm) and now I am happy to reach a 10 minutes unguided images for focal length of 900mm only with Autoslew.

I own PinPoint LE, I was not going to buy the full version if not for real need.

My problem is if I could add stars at my actual pointing file or if I have to do a new pointing file.

Best regards,

Cristina

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, you can add new stars to your actual pointing model, but only if you have not resynchronized with some star.

Max,

I don't understand. How does synching on a "new" star have anything to do with adding more stars to an existing pointing model? The pointing model measures polar misalignment, flexure, collimation error, tube flex and mount angle error. The system is designed for portable operations so you can make only a three star polar alignment, then use an existing pointing model, so why would adding a few stars after synching on a new star have any impact on the pointing model?

When I start Autoslew for a new imaging session, whether returning from park or starting up and doing a HomeFind, I always slew to a bright star and synch both TheSkyX and Sequence.

I have then added stars to a pointing file manually and with Sequence and have never experienced any problems.

Please explain.

• 2 weeks later...