Norton Internet Security

nakbrooks

Can anyone tell me if I am likely to have issues with installing Norton Internet Security on a PC dedicated to running ASCOM platform, ACP, Autoslew, Maxim DL, MaxPoint and Pinpoint, all under Windows 7 32-bit?

This is for an unattended robotic observatory. I know a virus checker adds an additional potential point of failure, but as a matter of principle I'd prefer to install one if there are no known issues, particularly as the PC will be connected to the Internet (albeit through a Sonicwall hardware firewall).

Thanks

Nigel

Hello Nigel,

Having run a PC servicing business, my opinion would be to steer well clear of complex software such as Nortons. For years now I have exclusively used Microsoft Security Essentials on all the machines I have anything to do with. It is free, runs unobtrusively in the background and looks after updates and scans etc without user intervention. I personally have not heard of anyone having an issue with MSSE. However,I have heard of many having issues with all encompasing do everything programs like Nortons. These days most viruses etc get in with the help of unwise operators who open email attachments from unknown sources etc. which won't apply in your remote control situation.

Ian

Thanks Ian.  I suspect MSSE probably is sufficient for my needs.  The observatory PC will not have a mail client installed (it is dedicated to observatory use only) so the only real exposure is to external penetration, which hopefully my Sonicwall firewall can control.  Interesting you use MSSE exclusively - I've always doubted its anti-virus/Trojan capabilities a bit, but maybe Microsoft have improved its comprehensiveness now. I use Symantec on my business PCs and Norton on my home PCs (the latter mainly because of the massive amounts of malware that teenage children seem to inadvertently download!).

My view has been that if anyone knows and can fix vulnerabilities in MS software, it is MS. I have a PC that has been running 24/7 now for several years which runs my weather station. It is permanently connected to the internet and is behind a router firewall. Other than that it is only protected by MSSE. I reckon that is a fair test for MSSE as I have had no issue in that time. Of course, the monthly Malicious Software Removal Tool from MS gets run as well. My concern with the likes of Norton is the number of times I have seen it cause problems itself, which you don't want for a remote situation.

Ian