Sequence Generator Pro, Nice program!- interest in MLPT support

maxmirot

I have been testing Sequence Generator Pro. I have used most automation programs  I am impressed so far.

What I like about it is you connect to devices directly inside the program ( scope, camera, plate solves, rotator, dome ). 

It is built as control program in addition to automation and other features. You don't have to go out side the program to find, focus, center, rotator slew etc. manually. you don't have to buy anything but the program to make it work. Most dependent software are  free such as PHD2 guiding. Plate solving using pinpoint is helpful but it also uses two free plate solve methods. It quite inexpensive at 95.00 USD

I would great the find another automation package that does MLPT. Has anyone else tried using it ?

The developers are quite active writing code. We need would need a few people to ask them to add MLPT to have them consider it.

Max

Hi Max,

don't get me wrong, but MLPT looks to mee to be a proprietary solution for Autoslew. It would be fairly easy to implement (I guess), even if there are no official API documents describing the correct way to do so. For sure it would be very interesting :)

Waldemar,

It controls a much wider array of devices, rotators, flat boxes etc than Sequence.  All the device controls integrated in the program.

You will have to try it. It is nothing like using CCDAP5, ACP or other programs. It is much easier to operate both manually and automatically.

The tools and features are much better than Sequence with the exception of focus.  The framing and mosaic wizard is the best for planning an image. Sequence has nothing like this. See YouTube for a video.  It explains it much better than I can. They have several people actively developing the software. They are adding improvements all the time. The one negative is the focus tool is quite different and does not work well with scope having large central obstructions. This needs to be fixed. After trying all the automation programs out there, this is my favorite so far.

As to Luke's point, I thought Dr. Keller asked John Smith of CCDAP5 but he did not have time or wanted $$.

• 4 weeks later...

I used SGP before I got ASA mount. I really liked it,lots of possibilities - BUT - one major flaw: it was multithreaded without proper handling of errors in that multithreaded environment. If I got an usb-error (I suppose it was) with camera or wheel the whole thing froce. Very annoying.

If they fixed that problem and sequence was adapted to not only use maximDL/PinPoint (LONG overdue!) I would use it again.

pelle

I used SGP before I got ASA mount. I really liked it,lots of possibilities - BUT - one major flaw: it was multithreaded without proper handling of errors in that multithreaded environment. If I got an usb-error (I suppose it was) with camera or wheel the whole thing froce. Very annoying.

If they fixed that problem and sequence was adapted to not only use maximDL/PinPoint (LONG overdue!) I would use it again.

pelle

Interesting. I wonder if thing have changed with SGP?

My devices ASA DDM85, FLI proline, FLI CFW,  Gemini optec rotator focuser, Lesve dome etc have been perfect with USB ( no errors).

Max

Mlpt is something very easy to make usable from other programs, but asa wont do it. I reverted to autoguiding and am running fine now

Didn't Dr. Keller say that he approached CCD Autoplot but they wanted some money to implement it.

I agree ASA needs to have more resources for software development open source is one route. Even then it helpd to have a programmer communicate with the beta community. Right now that interchange is limited.

Max

The other is to hire additional help. May be new emplyee's the could revise documentation.

Max,

Yes he said that but it never made sense. Most automation softwares can execute an arbitrary script before imaging, and this script could simply make an mlpt run, and load it into autoslew. Even if the Ccdsoft guys would not do it, in ccdcommander and acp it would be fairly easy.

And hell, it would be so damn easy to implement into sequence, just add a start parameter so you could do it like

Sequencer.exe -domlpt

• 4 months later...

Personally I found the combination of a Pointing Model with an autoguider to yield very good results, and funny enough they are even faster than an MLPT run :)

The reason is that the mount can track so accurately that the guider settles within seconds, so to get 10x 10 minute frames guided I have an overhead of maybe two minutes. With MLPT I needed that time for the MLPT run - at least.

So bottom of the story: I don't really need MLPT to be usable from other apps.  ;)

I also would like MLPT could be be used with other programms- That`s an old idea. I used in old days ACP, CCDautopilot...ans always requested ASA this possibility. No luck. But ¡¡¡¡....we are here once and again.  ;) . Support your idea....again..... Let`s see if a positive answer..

• 1 month later...

I discovered today that the latest version of CCD AutoPilot has an "ASA Slew" option, with the following explanation in the help file:

ASA Slew: When checked, CCDAutoPilot will run whatever application is entered after the mount has slewed to the target either at the beginning of a target session of after crossing the meridian.  This is used for ASA mount training. To enter an application, hit the NavigateButton.png to navigate to the specific application to be run.  If the application requires any arguments to follow the application, enter them manually in the arg space. To clear an entry, simply hit Cancel after hitting NavigateButton.png

Look here:

Screenshot_6.jpg

I wonder if there is a new feature around that I don't know about. ASA mount training sounds to me like MLPT...

Hi Lukas,

I also discovered it  into last CCDAP5 version. Unfortunately I have same questions as you. I really don´t know if / how to implement MLPT on to CCDAP5...

So--i continued imaging with just Sequence.... But I would like to use again also CCDAP5. :rolleyes: .Nothing new.. I guess.

Edited by afesan