Photo

Important fix for USB driver all mounts!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ChristerS

ChristerS

• Beta Tester
  • 87 posts
  • LocationFROSON, SWEDEN

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:41 PM

Hi!

Last night I could not connect to my DDM85 using Autoslew, clear sky's of-cause :). Everything worked OK except I got the "Could not connect to controller!" error when starting Autoslew. 

I contacted ASA and got a guide how to fix the problem, they have notices the problem some day ago. Se the attached guide.

The guide solved the problem partly, the guide shows how to downgrade to FTDI driver to version 2.8.14, so followed the guide, mount starts up ok. Then I try restart Autoslew still works. Then I power off and on mount the problem appears again!

Solution is to reinstall with CDM20814_Setup.exe again (see guide). So it looks like windows reinstalls the newer driver, ver 2.12, when I power off/on but it still shows ver. 2.8.14 in device manager. When I reboot the computer device manager shows the new FDDI ver 2.12.

The FTDI is the USB-serial driver Autoslew uses to communicate with the mount. 

So how do we(ASA) prevent windows from reinstalling driver?? I will google to see what I can find out, let me know if anyone find a solution.

I also think this is urgent info for all ASA customer I hope ASA communicate out this information.

The final solution is for ASA to add support for the new FTDI 2.12 release.

Clear skies!

// Christer

Cheers,
//Christer

www.astropix.se

#2 GeorgeCarey

GeorgeCarey

• Beta Tester
  • 343 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 05:33 PM

I haven't had this error yet, but it is useful information.

Thanks Christer.

ASA DDM60Pro, homemade 8" and 10" reflectors, QSI 683 camera, Astrodon 5nm filters, Pulsar dome observatory. Website: http://www.geoastro.co.uk

#3 Waldemar

Waldemar

• Beta Tester
  • 236 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 29 January 2016 - 07:50 PM

I get the message that I do not have permission to view that pdf file???

any suggestions?

Regards,

Waldemar

Waldemar
--------------
Mount: DDM85 Standard 12V ; Telescopes: TEC140 + 140FF + Quad TCC ; Celestron RASA; TMB 92SS + 27TVPH Cameras: ZWO ASI 174MM cool; SBIG STF8300M; ATIK4120EX; TRIUS SX-36
Filters: Astronomik and Baader NB + RGB; Lunt double stack 75 mm unobstructed signature series + BF 3400; Dutch weather and light polluted skies.  

#4 RamaSpaceShip

RamaSpaceShip

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • LocationIn the forest near Bordeaux, France

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:28 PM

Hi Waldemar,

I got the exact same message.

Any forum administrator to fix this?

Bernard

#5 ChristerS

ChristerS

• Beta Tester
  • 87 posts
  • LocationFROSON, SWEDEN

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:48 PM

Hi,

Ok strange, I attach it again and also as zipped.

Note is that I'm running on Windows 10, perhaps not a problem with older versions.

Attached File  howto_recover_usb_driver.zip   487KB   21 downloads

Attached File  howto_recover_usb_driver.pdf   506.06KB   69 downloads

If you are andy with a computer here is a link to one way to fool windows to think the older FTDI driver ASA installs is the newest

http://www.rei-labs....t-auto-updates/

Have not tested yet, perhaps to wait for a solution from ASA

BR,

//Christer

Cheers,
//Christer

www.astropix.se

#6 RamaSpaceShip

RamaSpaceShip

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • LocationIn the forest near Bordeaux, France

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:07 PM

Thanks, Christer,

I was able to get the pdf file using the new link.

Bernard.

#7 Waldemar

Waldemar

• Beta Tester
  • 236 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:49 PM

Yes, that worked, Thank you Christer

BR,

Waldemar

Waldemar
--------------
Mount: DDM85 Standard 12V ; Telescopes: TEC140 + 140FF + Quad TCC ; Celestron RASA; TMB 92SS + 27TVPH Cameras: ZWO ASI 174MM cool; SBIG STF8300M; ATIK4120EX; TRIUS SX-36
Filters: Astronomik and Baader NB + RGB; Lunt double stack 75 mm unobstructed signature series + BF 3400; Dutch weather and light polluted skies.  

#8 maxmirot

maxmirot

• Beta Tester
  • 221 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:14 AM

Thanks

I have the same problem!

#9 Corpze

Corpze

• Beta Tester
  • 207 posts
  • LocationSweden - Arvika

Posted 30 January 2016 - 07:49 AM

that´s a close one, i am just installing all software on a new win10 computer, luckily, i saw this thread and got a heads up - Thanks Crister!

Is there a way to shut these auto-updates off? It kinda feels like this is not the last time we will se this kind of related errors if win10 starts updating, restarting itself etc.

/Daniel

#10 rharter

rharter

• Beta Tester
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

Hi Daniel,

in Win 10 Home you can deactivate updates:

1. press "Windows +R"

2. enter "services.msc"

3. look for "Windows update" doubleclick

4. choose "deaktivate"

Ralph

#11 Corpze

Corpze

• Beta Tester
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:08 PM

Hi, i don't know if i have gotten this dreadful error but i constantly get Error 43 - The USB device isn't recognized by windows10

​No matter how i try, i constantly getting this error and can't connect to my DDM85.
​I have tried the above guide with no luck... any pointers?

/Daniel

#12 lukepower

lukepower

• Beta Tester
  • 610 posts
  • LocationDolomites, Italy

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:44 AM

Daniel,

try to change the USB cable as a starter. It could be a driver issue, but I would start with the cable. Then check your power supply to the mount. And even, try another USB port on your computer.

Lukas Demetz
------------
www.skygemsobservatories.com
Astro Dolomites Observatory, Skygems Network
Santa Cristina Valgardena, Italy
20" Cassegrain-Newton on ASA DDM85XL

#13 Corpze

Corpze

• Beta Tester
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 09:16 AM

Tried all of the above, no change what so ever... I am rollig back to win7 now :/
I had to many strange errors.
I had just the mount and the keyboard plugged in to my computer, flushed the com-ports, uninstalled all the drivers, reinstalled, new ftdi, the old ftdi, nothing seems to work. i only hope there is no harm with the mount :/

The powersupply is putting out 13.5v (have a lcd voltmeter added to my power distrubution box)

#14 lukepower

lukepower

• Beta Tester
  • 610 posts
  • LocationDolomites, Italy

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:41 AM

Hmmm
I would be curious to see if it will work again with Win7... Or if it is a different problem...

Lukas Demetz
------------
www.skygemsobservatories.com
Astro Dolomites Observatory, Skygems Network
Santa Cristina Valgardena, Italy
20" Cassegrain-Newton on ASA DDM85XL

#15 Corpze

Corpze

• Beta Tester
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:16 AM

Yep, up and running in an hour.
It might have been me running a Dell Optiplex 960 which doesn't have support for win10, but it worked last weekend???
I realize why i switched to Mac 😉

#16 Corpze

Corpze

• Beta Tester
  • 207 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 11:16 AM

Yep, up and running in an hour.
It might have been me running a Dell Optiplex 960 which doesn't have support for win10, but it worked last weekend???
I realize why i switched to Mac 😉

#17 Waldemar

Waldemar

• Beta Tester
  • 236 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:23 AM

On my ASUS i7 laptop, running  W10. I updated the FTDI driver to the latest version 21216 after deleting the old 208 version...

No problems whatsoever!

Mac... yes, great machines, but no ASCOM... Running a VM windows on a mac seems a bit weird to me.

My ASUS with i7, 16Gb RAM and SSD starts up within 10secs and runs great, I am pleased my old laptop gave up on me so I had to buy a new one and got the best I could affort. I know a laptop like that is a bit overkill, but I use it only for astro and got sick of W7 and 8 problems. 

Also changed all USB cables and my hub into USB3 cables and a 12V Transcend USB3 hub. I am VERY pleased with these changes!!

Makes astro life a lot more pleasing

I use 3 different MeanWell  power supplies for different applications like: one for the mount only, one for the camera(s) only and another one for the other stuff like dewheaters and focusmotors. Everything is set to ± 12.8 Volts under load. No brown outs or powerdrops to the mount or camera when something else kicks in. I use shielded power cables to prevent any interference or induction. Like I said maybe it is all a bit overkill, but I like to be in a perfect position with my equipment. Too many frustrations crossed my path... enough!  You all know that Murphy is the astronomers Patron... 

Waldemar

Edited by Waldemar, 08 September 2016 - 09:48 AM.

Waldemar
--------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users