Weird behavior

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 GeorgeCarey

GeorgeCarey

• Beta Tester
  • 343 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 09:19 PM

My last pointing model was made in July last year and has worked perfectly. When I switch on and go to an object it is spot on.

Tonight for some reason it is way off.

I told it to point at M31 and it went somewhere near the horizon.

I switched off and started again, but it goes to the same wrong place.

I tried Capella which is near the zenith and it went to Orion.

Homefind works as normal.

The correct pointing model is being loaded.

The computer clock reads the correct time.

Cartes du Ciel, the planetarium software I use, is using the correct time and location.

Capella is at altitude 80 degrees now, which is what Autoslew says, even though it is pointing in the wrong place.

My brain is frazzled and I cannot think what to check.

Any ideas?

ASA DDM60Pro, homemade 8" and 10" reflectors, QSI 683 camera, Astrodon 5nm filters, Pulsar dome observatory. Website: http://www.geoastro.co.uk

#2 RamaSpaceShip

RamaSpaceShip

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • LocationIn the forest near Bordeaux, France

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:49 PM

Hi George,

Do you have a working  backup of your Autoslew configuration directory?

I had a similar problem some time ago, and the solution was to wipe out the Autoslew configuration directory and to replace it by a known working backup.

It was corrupted for an unknown reason.

By the way, to all ASA mount users, it is wise to make a backup of your Autoslew configuration directory once you think it is working correctly.

Accidents or corruptions are something that happens, in particular with Windows.

Best regards.

Bernard

#3 GeorgeCarey

GeorgeCarey

• Beta Tester
  • 343 posts

Posted 18 February 2016 - 11:10 PM

Hello Bernard,
I don't have a back up - something I clearly should have done.
Thinking about the problem: if Autoslew had a corrupt Homeposition, perhaps off by 90 degrees, then it could produce this problem.
Tomorrow I will align on the Moon (if the sky is clear) by hand, and set and save a new Homeposition.

Then switch off and try again.

ASA DDM60Pro, homemade 8" and 10" reflectors, QSI 683 camera, Astrodon 5nm filters, Pulsar dome observatory. Website: http://www.geoastro.co.uk

#4 ChristerS

ChristerS

• Beta Tester
  • 87 posts
  • LocationFROSON, SWEDEN

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:52 AM

Hi George,

I had problem to make homefind som weeks ago, had no problem before, so finnaly I made a factory reset and it worked again, had to set up location and load pointing file again but after that all worked ok again.

/Christer

Cheers,
//Christer

www.astropix.se

#5 GeorgeCarey

GeorgeCarey

• Beta Tester
  • 343 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:02 PM

Thanks Christer.

It looks like the Homeposition value was corrupted. After the homefind which is almost at the zenith, Autoslew displayed this:

homefind.jpg

Altitude 37 degrees and DEC -2 51 was clearly wrong.

I pointed the scope at the Sun (with solar filter!), synced on the Sun and set a new homeposition.

It seems to slew to sensible places now.

Before switching off I saved the new parameters,

switched on again and the mount seems OK. It could find the Sun with no problems.

Strange that only the one setting was corrupted - everything else seems fine.

I have made a full backup - as Bernard suggested!

#6 MarkS

MarkS

• Beta Tester
  • 400 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 19 February 2016 - 01:03 PM

Hi George,

I've seen this behaviour with a new DDM85A with absolute encoders. When all is well you just turn the system on and it knows where it is.

For no apparent reason mine suddenly forgot. The solution in my case was to clear the config, turn everything off and then re-start. After that it all was OK again - strange! I have no idea what had happened, but the 'fix' is easy.

Mark

#7 GeorgeCarey

GeorgeCarey

• Beta Tester
  • 343 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:58 PM

It would appear that the only corrupted data was the Homeposition.
I have synced on Aldebaran, set a New Homeposition, saved parameters, and everything seems to be fine.

#8 MikePaling

MikePaling

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationUK ... Notts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 05:31 PM

Can some kind person tell me how to make a backup of the Autoslew configuration directory referred to above?.... I can't seem to spot this directory anywhere on my hard drive :(

Regards Mike

#9 Jay

Jay

• Beta Tester
  • 125 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 29 December 2016 - 06:40 PM

I've had similar problems with the corrupted Homeposition coordinates lately. Only 2 times so far but the latest almost made the scope to hit the pier.... not good.

I had to set the Homeposition again and now everything is working fine. The problem is of course that using automated Homing (after the photo session) is not fully reliable anymore...

Jay 

#10 RamaSpaceShip

RamaSpaceShip

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • LocationIn the forest near Bordeaux, France

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:00 PM

Hi Mike,

Can some kind person tell me how to make a backup of the Autoslew configuration directory referred to above?.... I can't seem to spot this directory anywhere on my hard drive

You can copy the following folder "C:\ProgramData\ASA\Autoslew" as a whole (and keep a backup somewhere that you can restore at any time).

Best regards and happy year 2017.

Bernard

#11 MikePaling

MikePaling

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationUK ... Notts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 02:39 PM

Many thanks Bernard ... I have now done this :)

I was a bit confused at first because the "ProgramData" folder was hidden on my laptop! After un-hiding it all was well.

Best wishes in 2017 to you as well !

Regards Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users