Pointing model - Workflow

Corpze

Hi, i am about to do a workflow with a video of how to do a superfit pointing model, but need some input.

I have already a Working model with some stars, the pointing and tracking is good for 5-10 minutes.

Last night, i did a 120 star autopoint file which i am about to use as a superfit.

Is this the right workflow?;

-open advanced pointing file

-calculate and optimize polar, poiting, tracking etc.

-Calculate and optimize superfit?

-Apply new model

- make a new homeposition

Do i have to clear the old configuration at any point or do i apply the new one "on top"?

/Daniel

Hi, i am about to do a workflow with a video of how to do a superfit pointing model, but need some input.

I have already a Working model with some stars, the pointing and tracking is good for 5-10 minutes.

Last night, i did a 120 star autopoint file which i am about to use as a superfit.

Is this the right workflow?;

-open advanced pointing file

-calculate and optimize polar, poiting, tracking etc.

-Calculate and optimize superfit?

-Apply new model

- make a new homeposition

Do i have to clear the old configuration at any point or do i apply the new one "on top"?

/Daniel

Hi Daniel, 

Have you seen this video enclosed in the forum? Last week I did a new Pointing moldel following the instrucions of this video and I have got a good results.

http://forum.astrosysteme.com/index.php?/topic/665-making-of-an-automatic-pointingfile-with-a-asa-az800/

Best regards,

Luis Romero.

www.astrosirus.org

Hi,

I am also having issues with Pointing.

I did a pointing model one year ago and see that pointing deteriorated during the past year.

I am still using AS 5.1.1.6 as I have a running system and not many problems, so hesitate to upgrade to the newest AS version.

I have seen the video and was impressed about the pointing accuracy. So far whatever I did I am always a few arcmin out of center.

Hence I would actually like to know the corect sequence of steps to make a new pointing file with Sequence and use it.

So far I always used the previous pointing model and cleared it before I applied the new one and then did a new find new homeposition after puting a star in the center and synch on it.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Josch

Edited by Josch

Hi all,

Reading this thread, I'm left with questions as to why all the emphasis on large pointing models. Perhaps my procedures are irrelevant to those with fixed installations, as mine is mobile.

However, I never experience tracking or pointing problems with my focal length range between 690 mm and 1710 mm in normal conditions.

At the start of each session I must establish Polar Alignment from scratch. After aligning the equipment as closely as I can to the pole, I run 3 star same Dec on the side on which I'm going to start the Sequence Run.

After 2 iterations, I usually have PA within 0.5 to 2 arcmin.

I then use that 3 star config for the night, and go straight to Sequence Run with MPLT. My standard subframe times are 5 minutes for LRGB, and 10 to 20 minutes for Narrow Band. MLPT usually reports corrections of about 10 to 30 arcsec. over 3 hours.

When the subs are registered, there is seldom need to crop the resulting frames, whether or not a meridian flip was involved. I have never had an image compromised by the need for excessive cropping. 

I have never been able to show myself that a 20 star config. resulted in noticeably improved performance.

When I have a fixed installation, I plan to continue with this procedure - except of course PA every time. So I'd like to know how the procedures discussed in this thread will improve my results.

Please help!

Mark

Wow Mark, that seems to be good numbers! are you getting this kind of accuracy every time you set up? i am impressed  B) 
Have you tried Superfit?

I am using a stationary setup so no PA for me :)

I wrote down all the steps i did so i remember them next time i have to do a model (hopefully this model i did today will function to the autumn)

• Fresh restart of the computer 
  • Clear config
  • Synch a star with Autoslew and planetarium
  • Make an autopointfile - 25 degree min alt, 90 degree max alt, 10 degree grid in both RA and DE, pier side - both (in my case 110-ish stars)
    Load and calculate autopoint file
  • Save the pointing file and "use now"
  • Restart autoslew - Check that the new pointing file is in use! (Motors on, Homefind) 
  • Select and center a star with planetarium
  • Synch with autoslew
  • Set new home position

This particular model gave me pinpoint accuracy when slewing, and with MLPT i have only tried 5min, but that was absolutely pin point stars.

If anyone know how to calculate and apply the superfit, feel free to fill in :)

And also, there is a setting in the autopoint - autogrid named "reference" on each East and West - what exactly does this function do?

/Daniel

Here is what I do. ( I am not sure why you save and restart autoslew. You change check the new model and don't need to resync IMO.)

• Clear config
  • Synch a star with sequence or TheSky
  • Make an autopointfile
    Load and calculate autopoint file using standard calc. ( calculates super fit 5.2.1.9 autslew)
  • Save the pointing file and "use now and later"
  • Set new home position.

Hi Daniel,

I generally get those sort of results above, provided that the Polar Alignment is better than 2 arcmin. I have used superfit on a 21 star config I ran last September, but this config is never used during my Sequence Runs - as I just use the 3 star config from the last PA adjustment each session.

Regards,

Mark

Mark,

I am impressed about your performance with only 3 stars.

However I am sure nobody of you guys is using the DDM85 as I do. I like the speed of the mount and do cycle many stars in a series. I do about 800 slews during a night and have 800 to 1000 images of about 40 variable stars. Hence I need the speed of the mount to move around, but also the precision to get the field centered each time I go to a new field.

All is controlled by CCDCOmmander which is the best and easiest automation program for my work.

I have used ACP and CCDAutopilot in the past, both are much too complicated to do the same as with CCDC. Anyway in my case pointing precision is important as I always change field every few minutes or even seconds.

I never use MLPT. My focallength is 2.7m and the CCD is a FLI ML16803 (very good camera, I only can recommend FLI).

However I do like you guys do with the pointing models. Maybe one has to prepare several models throughout the year as the fields move around the sky during a years time.

Regards,

Josch

Edited by Josch

About that video...

I did followed it as closely as I could when doing an "advanced procedure" instead of using the drop-menu choices.

Aside from not getting how the user does "clear" as he writes in the caption theres another thing someone else might understand: how to actually save the resulting model!

I just clicked "Ok" and form dissapeared without the possibility to name it.

As a result when I start AS now the log writes "Loaded ini-file C:\ProgramData\ASA\Autoslew\Autoslew.ini"

Before it named what model it loaded.

Did it load my new model or not I wonder.

pelle

Hi all,

I'm wondering that you use the advanced menu for find a way to calculating the super fit model. From my understanding it is sufficient to  click "load autopointing file" in the toolbar  and to choose "normal" under "calculate configuration". If You use enough stars the super fit is used automaticly.

BR Thomas

Hi all,

I'm wondering that you use the advanced menu for find a way to calculating the super fit model. From my understanding it is sufficient to  click "load autopointing file" in the toolbar  and to choose "normal" under "calculate configuration". If You use enough stars the super fit is used automaticly.

BR Thomas

That should be very nice to get a comment from ASA, if it does calculates the "Superfit" from the drop-down menu or if you have to do a "manual" superfit from the "advanced" menu. (Auto slew .19)

/Daniel

Hi Daniel,

you can see it in the AZ800 video. "the easiest option is to use the "dummy" buttons, but now I want to show the full calculation and results"

They went only in the advanced menu to show it in detail and to compare the different methods. 

If you choose "normal" in "calculate config" the superfit will be used. I always have superfit-corrections when I do my 32 star grid. 

BR Thomas

Hi Daniel,

you can see it in the AZ800 video. "the easiest option is to use the "dummy" buttons, but now I want to show the full calculation and results"

They went only in the advanced menu to show it in detail and to compare the different methods. 

If you choose "normal" in "calculate config" the superfit will be used. I always have superfit-corrections when I do my 32 star grid. 

BR Thomas

Haha, i have watched the video several times but never noticed that  :P 

Thanks for the heads up :)