Hardware check atPark of mount

lukepower

Question

Hi there,

I am wondering if somebody has found a good solution to check if the mount (in my case a DDM85XL) is parked without software. I could attach a reed contact (or similar) to my dome controller so that I could have a backup roof-closure-system in case ACP goes gaga.

I was considering one of those ultrasound distance sensors from Sharp, I guess that - if mounted at the right distance - they would set their output to logical 1, which in turn would trigger the input to my controller. Any experience on this?

Lukas

5 answers to this question

I have one of the Foster Systems optical sensors on my DDM85 since I use a PierTech PT3 to raise the mount for my roll-off roof. I thought the optical system would save me some messy wiring rather than using reed switches on a moving pier. It's ok but, it's not as sensitive to angular displacement as I had hoped. My roof is a very tight fit and it is possible to bump the telescope enough that it can hit the roof or intrude into the roof sensor beam and still appear to be parked on the sensor. It has to indicate parked at the top and bottom of the pier travel so I may be asking too much. More tweaking may permit better performance.

Bill