Visual Tutorial Polar Alignment for Dummies - Autoslew

astrosirius

Dear to everybody.

I have made this simply but easy tutorial to following the steps to get the Polar Alignment with Autoslew.

I have noticed that there are many people with doubts how to proceed with the Polar Alignment, thus I have decided to make it to help all everybody that need it this help.

If you have considered that there is something wrong or need some amendment, please fell free to contact with me to update it.

Note: I have written "Dummies" to justify that is easy to understand for all levels especially for beginners.

I hope it be usefull.

Best regards
Luis Romero.

www.astrosirius.org

Visual Tutorial Polar Alignment for Dummies .pdf

Edited by astrosirius

Thanks Luis. All very helpful to the beginner.

It is strange that the part about encoder resolution still appears - even with mounts with fixed encoder resolutions.

Thank you George,

Yes you are right, the problem is that to do this tutorial I have installed in another computer so I have had to restart everything, for sure if you mount is fixed this message won't appear. I will take into consideration for my next update.

Just a quick question. How accurate do most people try and get their physical polar alignment (particularly for static installations) before doing Autoslew polar alignment? Autoslew obviously compensates for imperfect physical alignment, but there are limits. Presumably if it is sufficiently imprecise then rotational effects will cause a problem on long exposures at longer focal lengths?

This is of interest to me because I use the DDM85XL with the equatorial pier and physical alignment requires the whole pier to be adjusted - not easy. Just wondering how good is good enough. My F/L is 3,200mm.

With my mobile set-up, at my usual locations, I get physical PA initially within about 10', and after physical trimming via 3star same DEC/ Polar Align routine

I'd have thought that with a fixed installation one would get physical alignment down to ~1' or better - recognising that it can be difficult with heavy loads, but not impossible.

Mark

Just a quick question. How accurate do most people try and get their physical polar alignment (particularly for static installations) before doing Autoslew polar alignment? Autoslew obviously compensates for imperfect physical alignment, but there are limits. Presumably if it is sufficiently imprecise then rotational effects will cause a problem on long exposures at longer focal lengths?

This is of interest to me because I use the DDM85XL with the equatorial pier and physical alignment requires the whole pier to be adjusted - not easy. Just wondering how good is good enough. My F/L is 3,200mm.

Hi Nak, I have using the DDM85XL with an GSO RC14" truss (F/L 2848 mm), thw CCD is the Moravian G2-8300 (5,4um), currently I am working with an Astro Physics CCD tele compressor CCDT67, so my resolution is 0.54"/px (2065 mm). Once I made the PA I got 12'x6', I am working with 10 min with "MLPT" without troubles, taking into consideration good seeing.

Best regards

Luis 

• 10 months later...

Dear to everybody.

I have made this simply but easy tutorial to following the steps to get the Polar Alignment with Autoslew.

I have noticed that there are many people with doubts how to proceed with the Polar Alignment, thus I have decided to make it to help all everybody that need it this help.

If you have considered that there is something wrong or need some amendment, please fell free to contact with me to update it.

Note: I have written "Dummies" to justify that is easy to understand for all levels especially for beginners.

I hope it be usefull.

Best regards

Luis Romero.

www.astrosirius.org

Hi Luis ....

Your PDF was really useful for me when I first set up my DDM60 a few months ago ..... my system is now up and running and fully functional.

Just out of interest did you ever get around to making a second PDF that was promised at the end of your first PDF to show the next stage? It would have been useful .... and would still be useful for any future total novices that come along.

Mike