ASA DDM85 electrical wiring diagram

astrobry

Question

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a internal electrical wiring diagram of the ASA DDM85 mount availabe, particularly of the connectors that are available for customer use like GALV, FAN, DATA...  Just to see if i can use these wirings/connectors for my own telescope/camera.

I was wondering if i can go trough these wirings for my SBIG STL6303E camera (power supply).

Are there other users with the same question or tried this out ? Is there a special cable available for this application ?

My telescope has also 3 fan's (12VDC), maybe i can let them work with the same connector 'FAN' and then switch OFF/ON with the autoslew software, provided with a customised cable.

What is the maximum power/ampère that can go trough the connectors ? If i check the datasheet of the manufacturer, then the max.current is 5 AMP voor the connector (not for the cable) Is this correct ?

best regards,

Erik Bryssinck

13 answers to this question

Hi Erik,

As far as I understood, for the connectors available for the customer, the wiring is direct, one to one.

So you can use them at will.

There are dedicated cables (mainly because of the threaded connectors) and Asa can provide them.You can also build your own cable providing that you find those connectors (I am interested in knowing where these connectors can be found in order to build my own cable).

The internal cabling probably limits the maximum power which can be delivered. I didn't check how much it is.

Best regards.

Bernard

Hello Bernard

Thanks for your reply.  I'm still interested in the allowed maximum current that can flow through the internal Cabling. My camera has a power current of max.6 AMPS and is splitted over 3 pins of the 6-pins connector. I suppose to reduce the voltage drop across the power-cable of the camera.

BTW:  The connectors are from Binder-connector (M16 series) and are hard to find and not cheap. So you can do a google-search, so you can see where you can buy them in your area.  Or like you mention, from ASA-astrosysteme.

best regards,

Erik

Hi Erik and Bernard,

the connectors are not that hard to find.

Try a google search for "din connector 8 pin" or similar.

In Europe, you can e.g. get them at conrad.com, e.g. here

http://www.conrad.com/ce/en/product/733425/Lumberg-WSV-80-DIN-Cable-Connector-Angled-Number-of-pins-8

I have bought several of them to build custom cables for my DDM60 Pro.

In the following document

http://www.produktinfo.conrad.com/datenblaetter/725000-749999/733425-da-01-ml-DIN_STECKER_8POLIG_GEW_WSV80_de_en_fr.pdf

there's a reference to the different versions (pin-numbers and pin-layouts) at the bottom of the first page.

Please be aware that there might be different types for the same pin-numbers (e.g. for the 8-pin-connector), so make sure that you order the right ones.

With regards to the maximum current allowed:

I think that the 8-pin-connector (data-port) officially is only rated for a few hundred mA per cable (can't find the information at the moment). According to the handbook, the 8 cables running through the mount are shielded and 0,2mm diameter. That should be good for something like 2 up to 5 Amp of current per cable but I would really check back with ASA to prevent any damage.

The galv cable is intended to power e.g. CCDs, filterwheels and stuff. At the DDM60, the cable supports 12V 2amp and 1-48 V 5 amps. Not sure whether that's true for the DDM85, too.

To be sure, I would contact ASA, but I'm sure you can find a solution to power all your equipment using the internal cabling.

Best regards from Ulm,

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the info. I found my connectors from manufacturer 'Binder'. I mean with (hard to find' that this connector wasn't available in the electronic-part shops in my area, they are only available when they order this specially for me. you can off course find anything via internet :). So i ordered this connectors via internet and i got the different connectors now.

Like you mention , the connectors are not the problem but the internal wiring are the limiting factor in terms of power and I want to be correct. I hope ASA read this forum  also  otherwise I will send another e-mail to the support of ASA.

thanks for your input !

best regards

Erik

Hello Erik

maybe this helps: DDM 85 Wiring.pdf

The cables are all straight through, also inside the mount.

As Robert mentioned above, the galv-cable supports 12V 2amp and 1-48 V 5 amps, so the inside mount-cabeling has to have the same specs.

CS Gerald

Edited by gmalits

Only 2 amps through the mount?

I am powering my FLI ML8300 & CFW2-7 filter wheel or FLI PL16803 & CL1-10 filter wheel, along with an SBIG ST402ME autoguider all from the same 12v connection through the DDM85X-SL mount. I have this connection fed from an Alinco 12v 30amp supply through a RigRunner using a 10amp fuse.

Also powered through the mount are the ASA 10N fans and ASA OK3 focuser, all supplied from the same Alinco Power Supply which provides very stable regulated power.

I have had no problems with any of the equipment in this configuration.

Note: I DO NOT power my RCOS TCC-1 (fans, focuser, rotator) through this conenction. They are powered independently through a seperate RigRunner 10amp fused conenction from the SAME Alinco power supply.

Edited by DaveK

It would avoid a bit of confusion if the power capacity were stated in Watts (which is the correct SI unit). Amps is only meaningful if the voltage is also stated. 2 amps at 12v is only 24 watts, whereas at 230v it is 460 watts.

It would certainly be useful if ASA published the maximum capacity of each of the mount circuits.

Hi all,

Thanks for the many replies end extra info about this matter.

I got received an e-mail from ASA-support regarding the max. current trough the connecotrs/internal wiring.. This completed aal the information i wnat to know about this subject.

" The galv wires can stand up to 7A continues current. Most cameras do not need so much current (a standard FLI camera needs about 4,5A with maximum cooling active)

The data wires should not be used for currents of much more than 1A. (as the name says – it should be used for Data connection)

The FAN connector is normally only used for ASA Astrographs. But of course, with a modified cable it can also be used for other 12V fans (max. 2,5A) "

best regards

Erik

I use Anderson Powerpoles and a rigrunner. Using the Anderson Powerpoles, I can either connect the ASA cable and FLI cable directly together, or I can mount a small rigrunner to the top Losmandy plate on my ASA rings and plug each cable into the rigrunner providing fused connections. I prefer to use fused connections.

With the Proline camera I only need one 12v connection from the rigrunnner to the PL16803 and the PL16803 powers the filter wheel and guide camera. When I use the ML8300, I connect the ASA power to the rigrunner, then plug each device (ML8300, CFW2-7 and ST402ME) directly into the rigrunner providing individually fused power.

If you require some extra power cable length, you can buy some black/red zip cord and heat shrink and solder the zip cord directly to the ASA cable, Because the zip cord is a larger guage wire it provides a better connection to the Anderson Powerpoles when crimping. You could also buy the DIN connector for the ASA power connection and only use the heavy zip cord instead of the ASA cable. This isn't a bad idea if you are comfortable making DIN cables.

I bought everything (zip cord, powerpoles, crimp tool, rigrunner) I needed from West Mountain Radio. Don't forget the crimp tool. It is a special tool and is required for making Anderson Powerpoles.

http://www.westmountainradio.com/rigrunner.php

You can also buy a variety of premade Anderson Powerpole cables here...

http://www.westmountainradio.com/product_info.php?products_id=rr_4008h_c

You can buy Anderson Powerpoles directly here

http://www.andersonpower.com/products/singlepole-connectors.html

From the information provided above, I need to change my 10 amp fuse to a 7 amp fuse. Thank you.

Edited by DaveK