• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mvandervorst

mvandervorst

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

All,

My N12 has been in an observatory for several years without a lens cap.    Both the secondary and the corrector have crud on them which will not brush off.  Please advise on how best to clean these surfaces.

Regards,

Michael

#2 RamaSpaceShip

RamaSpaceShip

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIn the forest near Bordeaux, France

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:52 PM

Hi Michael,

Put these optical surfaces in warm water (50°C) added with dishwashing liquid. Move them in the liquid until the crud disappears.

Then use isopropyl alcohol to rinse these surfaces, and a hair dryer on cold position to remove the alcohol..

Then you can put them back, cleaned!!!

(This works also for the main mirror.)

Best regards.

Bernard

#3 GeorgeCarey

GeorgeCarey

• Beta Tester
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:13 PM

Some optical surfaces that I have cleaned have stubbornly refused to come clean with isopropyl alcohol.
I now finish the cleaning by breathing on the surface and carefully wiping with a soft tissue.
It seems to work well.

ASA DDM60Pro, homemade 8" and 10" reflectors, QSI 683 camera, Astrodon 5nm filters, Pulsar dome observatory. Website: http://www.geoastro.co.uk

#4 MarkS

MarkS

• Beta Tester
  • 408 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:12 AM

If I use detergent I make a very dilute solution in distilled water - much less than than you would use for dishwashing - using a fragrance free detergent. Then I rinse MANY times with distilled water - It is amazing how many rinses you need to get rid of the residue!

For very stubborn spots I use a lens cleaning solution from VisibleDust, applied with a very soft microfibre cloth, with a very gentle wiping action - but only after all loose dust has been removed

Mark

Edited by MarkS, 20 April 2016 - 03:14 AM.

#5 mvandervorst

mvandervorst

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:54 AM

Thanks guys,

Now for the scary part, doing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users