Polar align and collimating data only

maxmirot

Hi Max,

I understood that it is the other way round: you build a (simple) model to calculate PA error only. When you get star positions to make a model, the calculations on that data solve a multi-variable equation set to get the value of the different pointing errors of your telescope: PA, collimation, flexure, etc... These values are then used by the mount to adjust the pointing and give much better accuracy. When you want to only improve PA, Autoslew simplifies the equation set to resolve only PA error variables.

You can also do the equation resolution by yourself, by using the appropriate math.

Once you move the mount on the pier to make better PA, every previous pointing model becomes wrong.

Best regards.

Bernard

P.S.  As I am not sure I correctly understand your question, the answer above may not correspond to your issue.

Not what I am asking. This about permanent pier that PA was original perfect. There has been a suggestion that these values change slightly over time, even if you have not touched the mount or scope. Asking about doing a big model  then tweaking PA with 3-5 additional stars or PA and collimation with 12-15. I think there was a suggestion this could be done.

Also, what does the east and west refere and sync check box do in Sequence autopoint?

Max

Hi Max,

Much clearer now. Due to variations in temperature and humidity, and to usage of the telescope, some slight changes in the configuration occur and there is no way to avoid that. This means that PA is to be redone from time to time, and, as I wrote above, as soon as you move the mount on the pier to improve the PA, every previous pointing model becomes unusable.

The only solution I see is to make a new pointing model, as you have no way to know what the changes are with a sufficient precision. Don't forget that the changes are not only on PA but also on all the other errors that a pointing model is trying to compensate.

So, if your pointing model becomes not so accurate, it can only be fixed by redoing it from scratch.

Best regards.

Bernard