118 replies to this topic

#21 ChristerS

ChristerS

• Beta Tester
  • 87 posts
  • LocationFROSON, SWEDEN

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:43 PM

Hi All!

I like you ideas!! I think we should go for a wiki, we run a similar on my work internally it works nicely.

I can host whatever we chose, with no cost, I already have several other domains and websites hosted on a provider in Sweden.

I can probably help to set up whatever we chose, I have quite good IT knowledge but not an expert at wiki setup. I will also start look around for a good solution.

As a reseller I could perhaps squeeze out som info from ASA ;)

//Christer 

Cheers,
//Christer

www.astropix.se

#22 w0mbat

w0mbat

• Beta Tester
  • 120 posts
  • LocationW Tree, Victoria, Australia

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:39 AM

This really looks like it might get somewhere! The most positive thing I have seen on this forum for a long time. My thanks to those who are offering practical assistance.

I am only a learner with ASA equipment but I do have good English skills and experience with technical writing so I would really like to contribute where I can. I agree with Waldemar that clear simple unambiguous English is essential to this type of documentation, especially as non-native English speakers will be reading the text. I have commented in the past about ASA's inappropriate wording in the existing "manuals".

Ian

ASA DDM60Pro, ASA N10 Astrograph, Orion ED102T CF Refractor, Canon 60Da DSLR, Sirius 2.3 Metre Observatory, WIN10 Pro 64bit.

#23 nakbrooks

nakbrooks

• Beta Tester
  • 268 posts
  • LocationWiltshire (England) & Hautes-Pyrenees (France)

Posted 01 September 2016 - 10:37 AM

Who else is planning to go to AME (at Schwenningen on Saturday 10 September)?

If there were enough interested people we could possibly organise a meeting to discuss formation of an ASA Users Group, with a documentation project?

I was not planning to go myself (I would have to fly from Toulouse to Strasbourg then 2 hour drive) but I could come if there was a real possibility of starting a Users Group and getting the documentation project off the ground.

Add your name here if you are serious about coming.

Nigel Brooks
Stratis Observatory, Hautes Pyrénées, France.
http://www.facebook.com/stratisobservatory

#24 maxmirot

maxmirot

• Beta Tester
  • 221 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 02:34 PM

Hi,

on the 10th of September, there's the AME fair in southern Germany. ASA usually has a booth there so I can try to discuss with them whether they would have a problem with us using their documentation as a basis for a user-group-maintained wiki page.

I like the idea and would be willing to contribute where possible.

Best regards,

Robert

A number of user need to complain to ASA in person in a big way. 

It is silly to develop amateur products without really supporting them.

It is impacted sales already and will get worse.

No matter what they say we still need a Wiki run by us unless there is 1000% turn around in documentation.

I would like to see ASA contributing too.

Max

#25 lukepower

lukepower

• Beta Tester
  • 611 posts
  • LocationDolomites, Italy

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:26 PM

Actually, if they would open the existent documentation for use by the community (considering that it is still their intellectual property) it would already be a useful thing.

I won't be able to attend AME as I am very busy at work, but am willing to contribute anyway. 

@Christer: Could you please check if you could host MediaWiki with BlueSpice (free version)? In my opinion one of the best Wiki softwares one gets nowadays, which is still regularily updated and has a nice WYSIWYG editor. ANd it would be multilanguage-capable.

Lukas Demetz
------------
www.skygemsobservatories.com
Astro Dolomites Observatory, Skygems Network
Santa Cristina Valgardena, Italy
20" Cassegrain-Newton on ASA DDM85XL

#26 astrosirius

astrosirius

• Beta Tester
  • 113 posts
  • LocationÀger

Posted 01 September 2016 - 03:59 PM

Hello,

I am living in Barcelona-Spain, I have no idea about Wiki and I am also busy at work, but If I can help to contribute my grain of sand, I will do it, because I have suffered a little during my setup with the ASA mount, I really have to say thank you to Antonio, without his help I couldn't have put my mount running, due to the lack of documentation.

I still don't understand many issues of sequence and I hope with this encounter can be a help to all of us to transfer the knownledge.

Best regards

Luis

http://www.flickr.com/photos/llromero/

#27 nakbrooks

nakbrooks

• Beta Tester
  • 268 posts

Posted 01 September 2016 - 05:35 PM

I agree with Luke that MediaWiki would be the best software. I don't know much about BlueSpice but agree it seems to add useful functionality. The only thing I'm not sure about is that BlueSpice is designed for Enterprise use (eg LDAP authentication, tight security, etc), so just want to be sure it would be fine in an open community environment.
Nigel Brooks

#28 nakbrooks

nakbrooks

• Beta Tester
  • 268 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:23 AM

I have emailed Dietmar (with copy to Egon) to ask if ASA would be supportive of a User Group and wiki and whether they would allow us to use their existing documentation as a starting point.

Hopefully we will get an early answer so we can take this project forward.
Nigel Brooks

#29 lukepower

lukepower

• Beta Tester
  • 611 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 06:26 PM

Well done Nigel!
I am curious about the answer.  :)

Lukas Demetz
------------

#30 ChristerS

ChristerS

• Beta Tester
  • 87 posts
  • LocationFROSON, SWEDEN

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:36 PM

BlueSpice wiki as Lukas suggested seems to be a good choise, I will se if I can install it on my webhost to try it out.

//Christer

Cheers,
//Christer

www.astropix.se

#31 lukepower

lukepower

• Beta Tester
  • 611 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 07:46 PM

Christer,

I might be able to help. Anyway, there is a well documented installation guide on the BlueSpice website, together with a download containing both MediaWiki and Bluespice.

I am curious about how this will work out  :)

Lukas Demetz
------------

#32 john32712

john32712

• Beta Tester
  • 116 posts
  • LocationFlorida USA

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:10 AM

Hey Everyone!

Read through all of the posts. Certainly an excellent idea and greatly overdue, since our documentation is very outdated and poorly written. Kudos to Max Mirot for bringing this up, as it is a very sore subject for most of us.

This is a huge undertaking and we will definitely need a project manager and an editor. Imagine 3 submissions of a certain procedure all approaching different aspects. Are all three correct? Are two inaccurate descriptions? Who decides which is right?

Regarding the original documentation, do you guys feel it is set up logically? Personally I don't!  I believe a new approach is in order....We also need to take into account the different mounts and setups (portable vs fixed)

I think it is a good idea that we approach ASA with the understanding we can wait no longer and the series of broken promises can no longer be excused! Will ASA help or attempt to block the effort?

#33 ChristerS

ChristerS

• Beta Tester
  • 87 posts
  • LocationFROSON, SWEDEN

Posted 03 September 2016 - 01:48 PM

Hi All!

I have now set up a first test draft of the BlueSpice Wiki on one of my websites, you can find the link below.

Just click on "Login" and register.

​I added some suggested navigation menu topics in the left column, the can be edited but may need admin rights.

So feel free to try it out and add and edit new pages.

I think we wait to add documents and software until ASA give their blessings ;)

Still some fine tuning regarding page update speeds, need optimize some file cashing settings, and some missing icons.

We can create a new domain name more fitting than the one I borrowed now.

http://asauser.cosmonorr.se/

There are lot of extension to explore for the BlueSpice, and figure out how to use current features like the portal and dashboard..

BR,

//Christer

www.astropix.se

Cheers,
//Christer

www.astropix.se

#34 nakbrooks

nakbrooks

• Beta Tester
  • 268 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 02:36 PM

Getting the structure right is important. Christer's suggested structure is a good start. Maybe we need to try and agree a draft structure here in this thread rather than have everyone changing the wiki directly? Probably only a small number of admins should be able to change the structure.

We also need to decide who can add and edit content. I suggest that anyone can read content but only registered users can add or edit content (to prevent vandalism by anyone on the Internet).

To be a registered user maybe you should own ASA equipment, as probably only people who own ASA kit are qualified to advise on its use.

Important to get things like structure and access rights agreed very early.

What do people think?
Nigel Brooks

#35 lukepower

lukepower

• Beta Tester
  • 611 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:15 PM

Agreed.

What about allowing everybody to register, but only users in a separated user group (let's call them "Editors", or whatever) can edit and add content? And to become an editor, an administrator has to check your status.

Or, easier: Every registration needs to be approved by the admin. Maybe doing a cross-check between the user on the wiki and here on the forum would tell if that user owns an ASA piece of equipment or not...

As for the Wiki Christer set up: First of all, very clean theme, I like it!

Second, the structure: Maybe this should be something that could follow the content? I mean, "Setup" and "Tutorial" would overlap quite a bit. And a "Documents" section, too... I would concentrate more on the topics of every single page/document and then care about the navigation later on as it evolves.

Lukas Demetz
------------

#36 lukepower

lukepower

• Beta Tester
  • 611 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:29 PM

Christer,

I just tried to edit a page, but I got basically an empty page with alot of gibberish text on it, look at http://asauser.cosmo...Polar_Alignment

Basically, I tried to upload a screenshot which is not being displayed, as well as the text that I typed. Seems like the Visual Editor is not working properly

Lukas Demetz
------------

#37 ChristerS

ChristerS

• Beta Tester
  • 87 posts
  • LocationFROSON, SWEDEN

Posted 03 September 2016 - 05:57 PM

Lukas,

The PA page looks ok except no screenshot, probable a file right issue, I will look into it.

So you all can you try out the Wiki features and play with pages, but dont put so much effort yet in the content before I see all seems to work ok.

/Christer

Cheers,
//Christer

www.astropix.se

#38 lukepower

lukepower

• Beta Tester
  • 611 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:21 PM

Christer,

okay, thanks. I switched back to the normal Wiki editor (no Visual Editor) and it works fine. The images seem to give issues, though. Were you able to use the Visual Editor to edit the pages?

As for the content: I am trying to write down a little bit just to get an idea, and to give an idea to others, on how it might end up. Honestly: I really think this could become a seriously good thing. If everytime an issue gets solved here in the forum the Wiki would also become updated, that would be awesome

EDIT: And Christer, it seems to me that the Email system is also not sending any mails.

Edited by lukepower, 03 September 2016 - 06:31 PM.

Lukas Demetz
------------

#39 lukepower

lukepower

• Beta Tester
  • 611 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 06:56 PM

Regarding the Wiki a question to all users here:

If you have time, could you take some screenshots of your setup, either during setup, imaging or even if you see an error? It would be very useful to have enough screenshots to insert them in the Wiki among tutorials and explanations. There are some nice little programs on the internet which make taking a screenshot a breeze, like "Lightshot".

As far as I see it, if the community takes the screenshots we wouldn't even run against intellectual property of ASA.

Thanks

Lukas Demetz
------------

#40 ChristerS

ChristerS

• Beta Tester
  • 87 posts
  • LocationFROSON, SWEDEN

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:38 AM

Hi Lucas and All!

I found the uploaded image not shown issue, it was an setting not allowing any document types to show.

So now your screenshot shows and the small avatar icons as well :)  Will look into the send mail issue

Screenshot of setup is a good idea, in Win7+ there is a build in tool called "Snipping Tool" you can use.

/Christer

Cheers,
//Christer

www.astropix.se

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users