Knowledge base for ASA mounts

maxmirot

Hello,

I am living in Barcelona-Spain, I have no idea about Wiki and I am also busy at work, but If I can help to contribute my grain of sand, I will do it, because I have suffered a little during my setup with the ASA mount, I really have to say thank you to Antonio, without his help I couldn't have put my mount running, due to the lack of documentation.

I still don't understand many issues of sequence and I hope with this encounter can be a help to all of us to transfer the knownledge.

Best regards

Luis

http://www.flickr.com/photos/llromero/

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Luke that MediaWiki would be the best software. I don't know much about BlueSpice but agree it seems to add useful functionality. The only thing I'm not sure about is that BlueSpice is designed for Enterprise use (eg LDAP authentication, tight security, etc), so just want to be sure it would be fine in an open community environment.

I have emailed Dietmar (with copy to Egon) to ask if ASA would be supportive of a User Group and wiki and whether they would allow us to use their existing documentation as a starting point.

Hopefully we will get an early answer so we can take this project forward.

Hey Everyone!

Read through all of the posts. Certainly an excellent idea and greatly overdue, since our documentation is very outdated and poorly written. Kudos to Max Mirot for bringing this up, as it is a very sore subject for most of us.

This is a huge undertaking and we will definitely need a project manager and an editor. Imagine 3 submissions of a certain procedure all approaching different aspects. Are all three correct? Are two inaccurate descriptions? Who decides which is right?

Regarding the original documentation, do you guys feel it is set up logically? Personally I don't!  I believe a new approach is in order....We also need to take into account the different mounts and setups (portable vs fixed)

I think it is a good idea that we approach ASA with the understanding we can wait no longer and the series of broken promises can no longer be excused! Will ASA help or attempt to block the effort?

Hi All!

I have now set up a first test draft of the BlueSpice Wiki on one of my websites, you can find the link below.

Just click on "Login" and register.

​I added some suggested navigation menu topics in the left column, the can be edited but may need admin rights.

So feel free to try it out and add and edit new pages.

I think we wait to add documents and software until ASA give their blessings ;)

Still some fine tuning regarding page update speeds, need optimize some file cashing settings, and some missing icons.

We can create a new domain name more fitting than the one I borrowed now.

http://asauser.cosmonorr.se/

There are lot of extension to explore for the BlueSpice, and figure out how to use current features like the portal and dashboard..

BR,

//Christer

www.astropix.se

Getting the structure right is important. Christer's suggested structure is a good start. Maybe we need to try and agree a draft structure here in this thread rather than have everyone changing the wiki directly? Probably only a small number of admins should be able to change the structure.

We also need to decide who can add and edit content. I suggest that anyone can read content but only registered users can add or edit content (to prevent vandalism by anyone on the Internet).

To be a registered user maybe you should own ASA equipment, as probably only people who own ASA kit are qualified to advise on its use.

Important to get things like structure and access rights agreed very early.

What do people think?

Agreed.

What about allowing everybody to register, but only users in a separated user group (let's call them "Editors", or whatever) can edit and add content? And to become an editor, an administrator has to check your status.

Or, easier: Every registration needs to be approved by the admin. Maybe doing a cross-check between the user on the wiki and here on the forum would tell if that user owns an ASA piece of equipment or not...

As for the Wiki Christer set up: First of all, very clean theme, I like it!

Second, the structure: Maybe this should be something that could follow the content? I mean, "Setup" and "Tutorial" would overlap quite a bit. And a "Documents" section, too... I would concentrate more on the topics of every single page/document and then care about the navigation later on as it evolves.

Christer,

I just tried to edit a page, but I got basically an empty page with alot of gibberish text on it, look at http://asauser.cosmonorr.se/index.php?title=Polar_Alignment

Basically, I tried to upload a screenshot which is not being displayed, as well as the text that I typed. Seems like the Visual Editor is not working properly

Christer,

okay, thanks. I switched back to the normal Wiki editor (no Visual Editor) and it works fine. The images seem to give issues, though. Were you able to use the Visual Editor to edit the pages?

As for the content: I am trying to write down a little bit just to get an idea, and to give an idea to others, on how it might end up. Honestly: I really think this could become a seriously good thing. If everytime an issue gets solved here in the forum the Wiki would also become updated, that would be awesome

EDIT: And Christer, it seems to me that the Email system is also not sending any mails.

Edited by lukepower

Regarding the Wiki a question to all users here:

If you have time, could you take some screenshots of your setup, either during setup, imaging or even if you see an error? It would be very useful to have enough screenshots to insert them in the Wiki among tutorials and explanations. There are some nice little programs on the internet which make taking a screenshot a breeze, like "Lightshot".

As far as I see it, if the community takes the screenshots we wouldn't even run against intellectual property of ASA.

Thanks

Hi Lucas and All!

I found the uploaded image not shown issue, it was an setting not allowing any document types to show.

So now your screenshot shows and the small avatar icons as well :)  Will look into the send mail issue

Screenshot of setup is a good idea, in Win7+ there is a build in tool called "Snipping Tool" you can use.

/Christer

We must remember that most of those writing the wiki content will be beta users but many of those reading the content will be using only the latest official release (or maybe an older one). So it is important we make clear what version screenshots and documentation refers to.

Yes that would be good.

It would also be good to try and build a change log so users know what the differences are between different versions of Autoslew, Sequence, ACC, etc. At least the major changes between official releases (maybe not sub-versions).

Nigel,

Christer already created a changelog for the different versions and inserted what we know.

As for the system, I am beginning to really like it. Check this out for an example http://asauser.cosmonorr.se/index.php?title=Mount_Tuning

It is really easy to edit, even without Visual Editor. And the images are working great now, too  :rolleyes:

Hi Lucas and All,

​Nice Mount tuning page Lucas! The wiki will be a great resource to all.

Here are some avalible domain name to use, price around 10 euro/year

asausers.com

asausers.eu

asausers.net

asausers.org

Give me som suggestion what name you like! 

/Christer    

Hi, just registred for this awesome initiative.

I have recorded some videos and put on youtube, just as a reminder to myself but also for other to watch - anyone who wan't can use this with my permission.

This is how The balance routine works - https://youtu.be/SuIuHkcxjJw

Here is a conplete recording of a autopoint,- hopefully without errors? - https://youtu.be/1mrjV1gOUk0

And here is a recording of me running a sequence i have already setup - https://youtu.be/wOgA41y-RpM

/Daniel