Knowledge base for ASA mounts

maxmirot

I see there is a Forum plugin for MediaWiki called WikiForum. I have no idea whether it is the best option or how stable it is but it might be worth considering for inclusion in our Wiki. Ideally we need two forum categories - one to discuss the evolution of the wiki and one to discuss the formation of a User Group.

Maybe someone more knowledgable could investigate?

Hi All,

Added a Discussion Forum at the Wiki to move some discussion to the Wiki instead

The domain asa-users.org will be ready early next week

The MediaWiki 1.27 update have to wait generated a edit page error

//Christer

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lukas,

Thanks for the response back. We are on the same page here...

I agree with Mark on the last two questions. They will not answer that truthfully or accurately and we already have years of direct experience, don't bother asking. The main concern should be; will they not interfere with this independent process, and worst case tolerate it. As someone pointed out, this is their forum, time to move these discussions off-site.

Ian: Your written disclaimer should do the trick!

You guys have done an amazing job! I looked at the page for the first time last night and was thoroughly impressed with the layout. Thank you!

John Nemcik

Great Christer!

I took the opportunity and started a thread on the new forum on the wiki, linking to here. So here is the link there: http://asauser.cosmonorr.se/index.php?title=Special:WikiForum/Knowledge_Base_for_ASA_users

I suggest to move the wiki-related discussions there.

Edited by lukepower

Hello community,

I'm back from AME and had quite a long and good conversation with Dietmar.

First of all, he is very aware of the discussion in this forum and also of the current activities to create an adequate documentation as a community effort.

I try to summerize our conversation as good as possible. Dietmar, if any of my statements is not correct or misleading, please feel free to correct them so that we have a valid description of the situation.

Dietmar mentioned that the original intention of that forum to be a platform where ASA users help other ASA users and therefore is mainly a place for interaction amongst users is still valid. It seems to be unlikely due to capacity reasons that there will be a significant increase in active participation of ASA representatives in the forum.

Dietmar also supports the idea of a community effort to generate a wiki based knowledge base. Even though Martin Pucher is working on updating some documentation (like the recently published beginners guides), it seems to be very unlikely that the effort to create a decent knowledge base would be redundant to what ASA is planning to do.

Dietmar also mentioned that ASA would be willing to extend the existing forum with a wiki-based knowledge area if possible and cover the associated costs and as already mentioned he is planning to discuss that with ASAs administrator as soon as he's back from vacation the week after next week.

Dietmar expressed that ASA has no intention to do any kind of censoring within the forum or in a future wiki and would support the idea of a dedicated group of editors that would maintain the content.

Dietmar also mentioned, that he will discuss with the administrator and probably Philipp Keller how ASA can make sure that all informatin and documentation, that's available could be made accessible to the community. It looks like there is documentation available that was never officially published (like e.g. more detailed information about version changes from Philipp) and Dietmar sees no reason why that should not be made available.

I proposed that all documentation could be shared with e.g. the wiki-administrators to let them check whether the content might be relevant for the community and either make it available for download or include the relevant aspects in the wiki.

I had the impression, that for ASA it was difficult to understand why a group of active forum members that are using ASA equipment with success for years see a need for better documentation. I mentioned, that on the one hand side it would help seasoned users if they knew what changes are incorporated in new software releases and how to use them. But at least from my perspective, I find it very sad to read so many bad comments in other forums when it comes to the question whether it is a good idea to invest in ASA equipment or not. A decent, up-to-date documentation and a solid support base is a must-have today, especially when dealing with a rather sophisticated and complicated product like e.g. DDMs.

I did not adress Nigels questions 5 and 6 actively, but Dietmar mentioned that he sees a strong commitment of the upper management to further support the amateur market beside the professional segment. He also mentioned, that the new, linux-based software platform is already in use in a professional project and seems to work fine there. However the user interface is command line driven and I had the impression, that there is no firm plan available yet how and when that could be made available with a decent user interface (either a windows-client or an smartphone app) to the amateur community.

I hope that I covered the most relevant aspects of our discussion and would really love to see a joined effort of ASA and the community to adress the current unsatisfying situation.

Best regards from Ulm, Germany,

Robert

Robert,

thanks for your efforts. After all, this sounds like old wine to me, but it's good to hear that they still want to cover the amateur market (on the other side, what shall they say while standing at AME?  :) ).

Personally I would be very curious about that linux-based software platform. I could live with it being command-line only, as one could use an INDI driver and command the linux box over the network - no matter what computer one uses. SO even without the "tablet" solution, the linux option could be interesting. I am going to ask Dietmar about this. 

Best regards

Lukas

Many thanks Robert. It is strange that they are surprised that users need more documentation. Yes the experienced users have worked most things out, but ASA hopefully wants to sell to new users and those new users need help with the very steep learning curve.

I agree with Nigel. It is extraordinary that they are surprised at the need for proper comprehensive documentation. It seems that in being so familiar with their products they have forgotten that new users know nothing about them at all. Having worked in the technical side of science for much of my life, I have never seen such an attitude from any company before. They really need to take a good look at themselves.

Ian

It is extraordinary that they are surprised at the need for proper comprehensive documentation

It is not as if we didn't complain since years...  :lol:

Is there anyone in this forum that can believe this?

Apart from that, a (Linux) command line interface is much more flexible than the current solution. It allows for HTML interface,  scripting, and all the facilities we may need.

I would like to have it available for my DDM85.

I find it in incredible, unbelievable, and very sad all at the same time. You sell a technical piece of equipment and you pose to be surprised that your core of users wants concise and updated documentation? No, just keep updating software and hardware and have your documentation severely outdated... That makes good sense!

While I am happy with my mount and it operates well, this absolutely ridiculous attitude makes me want to sell it. There are so many good choices out there, and these companies will jump through hoops to please a customer.

Can you tell me one mount manufacturer who has this attitude and provides its users with such outdated documentation?

"I had the impression, that for ASA it was difficult to understand why a group of active forum members that are using ASA equipment with success for years see a need for better documentation. I mentioned, that on the one hand side it would help seasoned users if they knew what changes are incorporated in new software releases and how to use them. But at least from my perspective, I find it very sad to read so many bad comments in other forums when it comes to the question whether it is a good idea to invest in ASA equipment or not. A decent, up-to-date documentation and a solid support base is a must-have today, especially when dealing with a rather sophisticated and complicated product like e.g. DDMs."

I got a good laugh out this one.  Apparently engineers without business sense run this company. 

Research funding has it's up and downs.

One day they will be out of luck when there is not another 1.5 meter order left in the pipeline and no DDM60s are selling either.

"I had the impression, that for ASA it was difficult to understand why a group of active forum members that are using ASA equipment with success for years see a need for better documentation."

Maximrot beat me to the appropriate reply :D

Its beyond me that they can be so unaware.....

On another note, I have some experience with getting the software up and running so I could perhaps be of some help in case of need. This would be via Teamviewer and skype. I'm willing to be added as such a resource at the wiki. If it gets too overwhelming I might reconsider of course. Perhaps others as well would be willing?

pelle

"I had the impression, that for ASA it was difficult to understand why a group of active forum members that are using ASA equipment with success for years see a need for better documentation."

Maximrot beat me to the appropriate reply :D

Its beyond me that they can be so unaware.....

On another note, I have some experience with getting the software up and running so I could perhaps be of some help in case of need. This would be via Teamviewer and skype. I'm willing to be added as such a resource at the wiki. If it gets too overwhelming I might reconsider of course. Perhaps others as well would be willing?

pelle

Thanks Pelle.