The "Hand" icon on Autoslew screen .... useful info.

MikePaling

Question

I am the middle of setting up my DDM60 Pro mount and slowly getting to understand how every part of Autoslew works.

I have recently been trying to understand what the "Hand icon" (please see attached image) atually does .....  I have not been able to find any reference to this in any manual (old or new) about this. I think that this icon has only just appeared on the latest version of the Autoslew User Interface.

So I decided to ask ASA support for some information.

I have just received the following reply which is very helpful .... I thought that i would pass it onto the forum so that others can see it.

Support at ASA replied as follows .....

"Autoslew can detect if your mount/telescope hits an obstacle by measuring the position error. The position error is the difference between desired position and the actual position. If this difference becomes too big, Autoslew switches off the motors an throws a position tracking error. (you can define this sensitivity – the maximum difference between desired and actual position at Drive à Servo Setup)

When you press the “hand”, so that the button changes to green, Autoslew ignores this position error. This feature is meant for visual observers who want to change eyepieces during operation.

The weight imbalance that occurs when you remove an eyepiece might lead to a position tracking error as the motors might not be strong enough to compensate this imbalance. The green hand prevents Autoslew from switching off the motors, what would lead to a crash if the telescope is not in balance."

Regards

Mike

post-5542-0-90589100-1473417071.jpg

1 answer to this question

Thanks for that Mike. Somewhere I have seen a condensed version of this information. I think it was revealed by holding the mouse pointer over the hand symbol itself. It takes a moment to appear. I think you will find this works on some other Autoslew buttons as well.

Ian