Ifo on the new AAF3 focuser please

Benoit Gagnon

Good day , I am almost ready to order a new ASA 10N but I need more information regarding your new AAF 3 Focuser. How does the Wynne corrector attached to it and does it have the big red wheel that the old OK3 and OK3Z focuser had to permit a rotation to frame the target? Also ,I would need a mechanical diagram of the focuser so I can have an adaptor made to fit my custom made off axis made by Sky Meca.

Thank you

Benoit Gagnon

post-3997-0-71704800-1474632537_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Benoit,

I don't have a drawing of the AAF3, but I do now have an AAF3. If you still have questions, I may be able to help (no promises!)

Mark

Hi Mark, if possible could you please send me or post it for everyone else to see a picture or some pictures of your AAF3 connected to the Wynne corrector that is connected to your camera. 

Thank you

Clear Skies

Hi Benoit,

I don't have a drawing of the AAF3, but I do now have an AAF3. If you still have questions, I may be able to help (no promises!)

Mark

Hi Mark, since you said you had the new AAF3, with this new focuser do you have the possibility to rotate your camera to frame the target like the old OK3 and OK3Z using the big red wheel ?

Hi Benoit,

The camera-side set-up, including the Red Wheel, is exactly the same as for the OK3.

I'm currently in conversation with ASA on the spacer required to set the Wynne corrector at the right position. Once I've got this, I'll photograph the set-up for you. 

Note that the AAF3 has 17mm of travel, compared to the OK3's 30mm. The AAF3 uses an absolute encoder so there's no Homefind. Can't wait to commission it!

Mark

Edited by MarkS

Hi Benoit,

The camera-side set-up, including the Red Wheel, is exactly the same as for the OK3.

I'm currently in conversation with ASA on the spacer required to set the Wynne corrector at the right position. Once I've got this, I'll photograph the set-up for you. 

Note that the AAF3 has 17mm of travel, compared to the OK3's 30mm. The AAF3 uses an absolute encoder so there's no Homefind. Can't wait to commission it!

Mark

Thank you so much,  Mark, I really appreciate the informations, looking forward to the pictures :) 

Benoit

I have the new focuser but havent attached it to my asa N10 yet, will do so this week-end.

there where 2 adapters included, one bigger with dovetail thats easy enough to understand; first attach this to the scopes focuser dovetail, then attach the new AAF3 instead of the AK3Z (in my case)  to it. This is for getting the focuser equidistant with the old AKZ3

There was also another adapter that I dont understand, you screw it to the focuser (where you would otherwise screw the wynne corrector)

But the other "end" of the adapter (its only 1cm) has no threads but 3 hex-bolts to hold something in place.

Anyone knows the function of this adapter? is it to replace the old big red wheel with "tooths" used to enable easy camera rotation?

pelle

I don't know if anyone from ASA is reading this post but they must realize that there is a severe shortage of information on their online knowledge database. hopefully, they can address this issue soon, I am saddened by this situation , ASA  has excellent products but they must come to understand that their Achillesheel is communications.   :(

Edited by Benoit Gagnon

Hi,

Also got my AAF3 with same adapter as Pelle. Se the attached image where I have attached the Wynne and my Moravian G3 cameran, I did not use thw big red wheel with tread. Tried mount it without the extra adapter and the red wheel but then there was a gap so the camera could move in-out about 10 mm and rotate freely, obviously not the right way. Two concerns the focuser inner diameter is a bit bigger than the Wynne so there is a small play, when lock down perhaps not a problem. Second the lock screews will put pressure on the Wynne is that harmful for the optics or not?

BR,

/Christer 

AAF3.png

Edited by ChristerS

Hi Mark,

I got two adapters one with dovetail to attach teh AAF to the OTA (green arrow) and a second focus extension 3" (blue arrow) with 3 lock screws to lock the Wynne against the inner tube wall (so no need for the red ring with tread). The ring with tread from the AAF focuser in yellow.  A question for ASA why is not the focus extension in blue replaced with a extension with tread to use the red ring to lock down the Wynne? I have not had confirmation from ASA support yet if this is a correct way to do it.

BR,

/Christer 

AAF3 adapters.PNG

Hi Mark,

I got two adapters one with dovetail to attach teh AAF to the OTA (green arrow) and a second focus extension 3" (blue arrow) with 3 lock screws to lock the Wynne against the inner tube wall (so no need for the red ring with tread). The ring with tread from the AAF focuser in yellow.  A question for ASA why is not the focus extension in blue replaced with a extension with tread to use the red ring to lock down the Wynne? I have not had confirmation from ASA support yet if this is a correct way to do it.

BR,

/Christer 

How can ASA sell a product without documentations? Unless they think this is a game, it does not make any sense :( 

Thanks Christer,

That's the same as I got. For me, with a mobile set-up, the blue adapter is definitely not the way I'm going to do it. I don't like the idea of the 3-point pressure on the barrel of the Wynne, and in any case it would require me to remove the Wynne form the adapter each time....

I'll keep you posted when I have a solution that suits me.

Mark

Hi,

Made first light yesterday with the AAF3, seems to work ok, one problem is that when I start AS the old ACC software is popping up and I have to run the new version of the ACC as standalone, waiting answer from Dr.Keller how to resolve this.

Added an detailed image of the AAF3 I got from ASA support, there it seems the lock screws will not touch the Wynne corrector, will check if that is true. 

Cheers,

Christer

AAF3.jpg

Hi,

Made first light yesterday with the AAF3, seems to work ok, one problem is that when I start AS the old ACC software is popping up and I have to run the new version of the ACC as standalone, waiting answer from Dr.Keller how to resolve this.

Added an detailed image of the AAF3 I got from ASA support, there it seems the lock screws will not touch the Wynne corrector, will check if that is true. 

Cheers,

Christer

Hi Christer, one quick question for you, is the adaptor that you used to connect your camera to the Wynne corrector, is the same as the one you had for your old focuser (OK3 or OK3 Z ) or you needed to have a new one made for the new AAF3 focuser?