Ifo on the new AAF3 focuser please

Benoit Gagnon

Hi Bernoit,

Its the same camera-Wynne adapter as for the OK3Z.

One important thing I discovered, when you should push down the Wynne through the AAF3, with the new camera adapter, you first have to unscrew the 3 lock screws all the way out so nothing is in the way when the Wynne is put in place, that way the Wynne can go all the way to the bottom of the new camera adapter and the lock screws will NOT be applied to the Wynne corrector but insted on the camera adapter part. The screws are conical so I think the will have the effect of push the rim of the camera adapter towards the focus adapter bottom. In my previous image my Wynne was stopped by the lock screws and did not go all the way to the bottom.

I hope ASA support will make some instructions about this, I will put this info on the Wiki as well.

Cheers,

/Christer

Thanks for the info Christer.

The adapter/spacer you are using doesn't work for me with the mobile set-up. Undoing the 3 screws whilst holding the camera to stop it dropping to the ground is too tricky!

Accordingly I had made up a spacer exactly like the old 45mm one used with the OK3, but 15mm long instead of 45mm. It all works perfectly, and allows safe mounting/dismounting of the camera. See enclosed thumbnail.

The set-up has now actually shot some data, and the subs look good.

I was also told by ASA that the the new ACC software for the AAF3 only works as a standalone. But I tried it in Autoslew anyway, and it functions exactly the same. Sequence accesses it for AF, and no problems have arisen. Maybe problems will emerge, but until they do.......

Mark

Hi MarkS. is the big red wheel came with your new AAF3 focuser or is it part of your old focuser? Also with your new set up, to remove your camera, do you unscrew something (the big red wheel ? ) or you have to remove the 3 little screws ? I am asking because my planned system will be used in a mobile setup.

Thank you

Benoit 

Edited by Benoit Gagnon

Hi Benoit,

The Red Wheel is from the OK3 set-up. The system shown in the picture does not use the AAF3 spacer with the three grubscrews. That spacer is replaced by the one I had made. You can see it on the image between the Red Wheel and the focuser barrel. It screws directly into the AAF3 barrel exactly like the spacer on the OK3 barrel, and the Red Wheel then attaches the corrector/camera assembly in the same manner as on the OK3.

Mark

Hi MarkS, a really nice solution to the lacking solution from ASA that does not take into consideration all of the astrophotographers that have a mobile setup. I don't understand why ASA did not go with that solution that uses common sense. I wonder if the big red wheel is available as a separate purchase when someone orders a new 12N ? 

Benoit 

p.s. do you have the 10N or 12N ? 

Benoit,

The only drawback with my solution is that the 15mm wide knurled depth is hard to grip as the Red Wheel obstructs it somewhat. This is OK if there is room to fully rotate the camera without fouling the mount. In my case there isn't, but this has not proved a problem so far!

I have the 10N

Mark

Benoit,

The second adapter supplied with the AAF3 correctly places the Wynne on the ASA10 or 12. However, it is not really suitable for mobile use where you need to disassemble the system at the end of each session.

The spacer I made places the Wynne in exactly the same position as the one supplied with the AAF3, but uses the Red Wheel to attach it, rather than three grubscrews.

The OK3 set-up has a spacer exactly like the one I made, but because the OK3 is 30mm less deep than the AAF3, the spacer is 45mm long, instead of the 15mm required for the AAF3.

Hope this clarifies the situation for you.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Anyone got the ACC to work with Autoslew correct with the new AAF3 focuser?

In Add/Remove component I tried "Use ACC" checked and un-checked, when checked two ACC shows up the old and new one, I ignore the old one but a bit annoying.

If unchecked I can start the new ACC standalone, but then Sequence cant find any focuser.

Running AS 5.2.3.1

P.Keller had the following comment but same problem as above

"check the Autoslew.ini file and set
[ACC]
Use ACC and take over settings from ACC=False
then run the new ACC standalone"

​Cheers,

/Christer

Hi Christer,

I am using 5.2.3.1 on Windows 7. I have ACC checked in AS>Telescope>Add/Remove Components, and it works exactly the same as previously with the OK3. Only one ACC window  opens, and it works fine as long as AAF3 is selected.

I also have ACC standalone loaded. I have no idea whether or not it makes a difference, but there is an AAF3_ASA ini file in it which I don't see in 5.2.3.1.

Mark

• 4 months later...
Hello to everyone,

Still excuse my English :( 

I begin to inventory parts : DDM85S - 12 "- AAF-3
It's about focuser AAF-3.

I used the Ikea method adapted for ASA: which introduces into whom?
There is no more red wheel, as planned, but nothing to replace it in my parcels.
Thus it is impossible to rotate the image of the camera !
No part can turn.

I have three grubscrews, and maybe 4 screws for fixation of the system ...
Misses me a part of the rotation system?

Thank you for your experience.
Fabrice - La Cebra

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ar8edxoouov4bGE4n7ZDa8o6jNw

https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ar8edxoouov4bfm3Cq2axao235s

From your photos you do not appear to be using the Wynne corrector.

When using it and the correct adapter, the grubscrews on the AAF3 adapter hold the Wynne/camera system in place by engaging the seating ridge on the Wynne and its camera adapter.

The rotation can be achieved by slightly loosening the grubscrews, and retightening when you have rotated the camera. This is quite safe provided that the seating ridge on the Wynne+camera adapter is the correct thickness. I find this to be quite convenient, and less tricky than with the red wheel system.

However, if you want to use the red wheel system, you need to have a different adapter made. See my post earlier in this thread.

Mark

Thank you, Mark, for your help.

I had well read your previous remark as for the specific use of the Red Wheel.

Two new photos showing the Wynne Corrector.
The (small ?) backfocus of this camera QSI 683 does not allow to install a system for rotation?

The red arrow shows a (1/3) conical screw for blocking of the corrector on the focuser.
It would be the only option to turn the camera ...

Thank you.
Fabrice

​Pictures :

- https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ar8edxoouov4cZvq1THsdj2NkrI

- https://1drv.ms/i/s!Ar8edxoouov4cJGWIyahqlQtteY

Hi Fabrice,

The Wynne corrector has a flange at its camera end which seats onto the AAF3 adapter. This flange is about 2mm thick. The camera adapter should have a matching flange approximately 1.5mm thick, so that when it is bolted to the Wynne, the total flange thickness is 3.5mm.

The three grubscrews, which have tapered ends, then grip the corrector/adapter assembly firmly by engaging the flange with their tapered ends. The points of the screws should not engage the corrector/adapter barrel.

When set up like this, it is quite easy to rotate the camera/Wynne assembly by slightly loosening the grubscrews - NOT TOO MUCH! - rotating the camera, then retightening the grubscrews.

I have found this is easier than fiddling with the red wheel - and more accurate.

Judging by your photos, your camera adapter will need modification to achieve such a set-up.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Thank you Mark for your explanation. :) 

The plan is joined here, to confirm.

I asked for the delivery of the rotating part, which is lacking. AstroImagen - España.

Can you tell me how are called these objects, in English: knurled knobs?

Pictures :

1/ The documentation exists, why isn't it given to the customers?

I share it here : AAF3 Assembly - https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ar8edxoouov4dBCWggXUZLo7XTk

2/ It is necessary to make oneself the system of rotation for the camera, from now on (today)! :( 

I would accept drawings of those who have already succeed in this, to adapt them, then to make them, here :huh: 

Without RedWheel, but knurled knobs :D 

Edited by LaCebra

• 10 months later...

Amenophis,

y

I don't know about step size, but the AAF3 has a precision encoder, and the position is read out to 1 micron. During a run with my ASA10N, focus position is generally maintained to within +/-1 or 2 microns.

Hope this helps.

Mark

• 1 year later...

Hello
  someone uses a focuser AAF3 with an automatic focuser (focusMax, MaximDL ...) with what result?
I wanted to do autofocus with Sequence Generator Pro and it does not work properly. The software does not work with the AAF3 absolute focuser. :-(
What is your experience ???

thank you

Peter

this information was provided to me in SGpro:

The AAF3 uses an encoder and exposes the position back to SGP which is not normal to the ASCOM standard.

Does anyone know how to make adjustments in Ascom for AAC3 focuser, and will be able to use SGpro autofocus ???

Peter

Edited by pepe30

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...