New problem with Autoslew

cfm2004

Last week I was imaging when my Autoslew suddently started to report some problem. I interpreted that the problem may have been a rush current, but I am not sure. From that time my mount has started to cause problems. I am not able to do unguided images of 10 minutes, the mount does not always respect north limits, sometimes turns around and points to the pole unless I gave him a command.

I do not know how to proceed. Should I uninstall and reinstall autoslew?

I had the same problem last August and I resolved uninstalled Autoslew and installed a new version, but now I have 5116 and I have not seen a new version on ASA web site.

Best regards,

Cristina

Edited by cfm2004

Hi Cristina,

It may happen that some file got corrupted (in Autoslew or in your config files). This can be caused by several events, a failed shutdown or a blue screen  are the most common causes.

First, do a full virus check of your computer. Then reinstall Autoslew (no need to change the version), and reconfigure it. It is wize to make a backup of your config files, if you have a permanent setup.

Best regards.

Bernard

Hi Cristina,

I encountered similar problems with my ASA mount - my solution was to use the repair function of the ASCOM platform (one file seemed to be corrupted) and a new installation of Autoslew. After that, everything went back to normal...

Best regards,

Christian

Cristina,

It was just a suspect that the ASCOM platform might be responsible for the effects observed: From time to time I got error messages from ie. MaximDL when quitting the program that still some processes are up and running (the same is true for AS). However (in the case of Maxim), I had disconnected from all equipment (the sky controlled telescope, focuser, filterwheel, camera). When I then tried to restart my equipment, I am not able to connect to the filterwheel or the focuser...one counter measure was to execute the ASCOM repair function. And what should I say, from time to time the ASCOM platform gets repaired.

I do not have a clue, what is going on there...I could only speculate that some bits and pieces of the running softwares are not entirely removed from the memory when quitting and that this screws eventually the ASCOM platform.

Hope that helps!.

Christian

Yesterday night I did a new pointing file to try to resolve the problem. I sinc on a star on east side, clear old configuration and start a new pointing file. I used The refractor D. 130 focal lenght 900 and QSI 520. First 20 stars on east side with no problem, but on 4th stars on the west side I had a problem. The mount reached the object but the numbers of RA and DEC (coordinates) did not stop and the mount no longer responded to arrows control. I stopped pointing file and I turned off planetarium and Autoslew. When I switched on again Autoslew the mount did not respond to commands. I tried switching off the power but the problem remained.

On a manual of version 5110 Dr Keller wrote:

Possible Problems and solutions after installation:

If Autoslew starts but the mount behaves strange and you cannot find the right settings for the

mount to perform well then we suggest to set the mount back to factory settings. This can now

be done with a mouse click. No need to delete any ini files or folders.

Click on File / Restore Settings

I have a lot of confusion in my head and I'm very frustrated....

Edited by cfm2004

I tell you the news. Yesterday night I turned back my mount. I had not changed anything from the previous night, only switching off power. The mount work properly. I synchronized on a star and I started the pointingfile I had stopped for the problem. I added 20 stars on the west side and calculated the configuration that I have used and saved. Then I pointed M51and i launched a image of 10 minutes: round stars! I took images for two hours without problems....

My question now is: what was the problem?

Edited by cfm2004

Ciao Cristina,

I guess that it has something to do with the magnetic angle. When you turn on your mount (well, the motors actually), Autoslew searchs for this data, and at least with my mount it sometimes fails. This results in strange tracking problems. I then usually simply restart Autoslew, and more often than not the problem is gone. It's just stupid when it happens in an automatic session in the night...