NGC 55 - First light AAF3 and Moravian G3-16200

MarkS

NGC 55 is an irregular spiral galaxy about 7 Mly away in Sculptor. This area of sky has a relatively low density of stars. The main Sculptor group is around 12Mly away, so this galaxy (and NGC300) are much closer. It is thought to be similar in structure to the Large Magellanic Cloud, though much larger.

This image is 3 hours RGB, shot on a fairly dark night (SQL 21.34 max), although the seeing was not great at about 4", due partly to fairly high winds. The image is about 23% of the full frame area. ASA10N/AAF3; G3-16200; Astrodon filters; DDM85A unguided.

Mark

N55_v1_23%crop.jpg

Max,

I have not seen full independent tests of the FLI or Moravian 16200 cameras.

I can tell you that the G3-16200 the G2-8300 are both sky noise limited on my ASA10N f/3.6 system at 5min subs R, G or B. That is, the background measured on dark areas of subs taken with the two cameras in nearly identical sky darkness (SQL 21.4) are very similar. I would expect this to be the case for a f/3.6 system - that is, for exposures longer than about 3 minutes (R, G, or B) the sky noise should dominate RN of the camera.

I have not yet done the same experiments with Narrow Band filters.

Mark

Well I had the pleasure to see the raw data of a FLI ML 16200 in Namibia this year, taken with an ASA 12" astrograph. The noise was very little and smooth. While I know that Moravian will have more noise I am confident that it still is on the low end. It seems the CCD producer improved the chip in many areas, resulting in an overall smoother image...

Well I had the pleasure to see the raw data of a FLI ML 16200 in Namibia this year, taken with an ASA 12" astrograph. The noise was very little and smooth. While I know that Moravian will have more noise I am confident that it still is on the low end. It seems the CCD producer improved the chip in many areas, resulting in an overall smoother image...

Lukas,

I have compared raw subs shot with the G3-16200 with equivalent ones shot with the G2-8300 (both 10min Ha to probe the camera noise). The 16200 is definitely smoother in the dark regions.

Mark