• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rharter

rharter

• Beta Tester
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:23 PM

Hi all,

have anyone of you an idea how I can allocate a com port to the gps receiver to install it in Autoslew?

The gps receiver is automatically installed in Win 10 under "sensors" and not on a com port.

Thanks!

Ralph

#2 RamaSpaceShip

RamaSpaceShip

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationIn the forest near Bordeaux, France

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:42 PM

Hi Ralph,

You need to install GPSComplete  and use GPSReverse. Some info on this site.

Good luck.

Bernard

#3 rharter

rharter

• Beta Tester
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 04:37 PM

Hello Bernard,

thanks for your hint!

Yes it already installed a com port but unfortunately the original ASA GPS receiver is not found by GPSComplete although the ublox 6 driver is installed and the receiver is active in "sensors". Mayby I have to dive a bit deeper into the manual... ;-)

Ralph

#4 andrewlockwood

andrewlockwood

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:02 AM

Hi - I had a similar problem. After installing GPScomplete and creating a new com port, Autoslew would not see the new com port.

Instead, in device manager I selected the sensor and used: update driver - browse my computer for driver software - let me pick from a list of available drivers, and selected the bottom one that says USB serial device. Then the GPS showed up in the drivers under ports as "u-blox 6 GPS receiver (COM9)"

If you've had a few goes at getting this to work, you may have multiple drivers installed. You can use the pnputils command in a cmd window to search out and remove all of the u-block .inf files and start again if there are more than one.

I was then able to connect Autoslew to that com port, and after running the synch time to GPS command in autoslew it worked.

regards,

Andrew.

#5 w0mbat

w0mbat

• Beta Tester
  • 122 posts
  • LocationW Tree, Victoria, Australia

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:22 AM

Hi,

Can someone please explain what this is about? I have an ASA GPS stick which works just fine under WIN 10 and with Autoslew. I have never heard of the software mentioned above. Why is it needed? Why don't I seem to need it? What am I missing?

Ian

ASA DDM60Pro, ASA N10 Astrograph, Orion ED102T CF Refractor, Canon 60Da DSLR, Sirius 2.3 Metre Observatory, WIN10 Pro 64bit.

#6 Waldemar

Waldemar

• Beta Tester
  • 242 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:25 AM

Hi Ian,

As far as I can see this is about a newer GPS device with UBlox 6, The original ASA GPS stick uses UBlox 5.
Apparently a few tricks are needed to get it working. 

Waldemar

Waldemar
--------------
Mount: DDM85 Standard 12V ; Telescopes: TEC140 + 140FF + Quad TCC ; Celestron RASA; TMB 92SS + 27TVPH Cameras: ZWO ASI 174MM cool; SBIG STF8300M; ATIK4120EX; TRIUS SX-36
Filters: Astronomik and Baader NB + RGB; Lunt double stack 75 mm unobstructed signature series + BF 3400; Dutch weather and light polluted skies.  

#7 andrewlockwood

andrewlockwood

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:16 AM

If your gps stick driver gets 'upgraded' by Windows10, it will no longer show up as a COM port, but as a 'sensor' in the devices. If this happens Autoslew will no longer recognise it. I also have the older u-blox 5 stick, and got upgraded by stealth. Rolling the driver back has fixed the issue for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users