Motor Current Problems?

maxmirot

Question

5 answers to this question

Max,

This looks to me like the DE balance is way off. 

Did the system report a Position Error?

Which mount are you using and how heavy is the payload? (My DDM85 seldom registers DE current above 1A)

Mark

If balance is perfect then it may be that you have the dreaded 'rising current' problem.

My mount had this and had to go back to Austria. I never got a definitive answer to what caused the problem, but it was most likely due to a tight bearing on the DEC axis.

ASA put new bearings in and the problem was fixed.

The rising current problem was more common on DDM60 mounts, so I am surprised you have it on a DD

If balance is perfect then it may be that you have the dreaded 'rising current' problem.

My mount had this and had to go back to Austria. I never got a definitive answer to what caused the problem, but it was most likely due to a tight bearing on the DEC axis.

ASA put new bearings in and the problem was fixed.

The rising current problem was more common on DDM60 mounts, so I am surprised you have it on a DD

Something is weird with the mount.

It has problems. I have played with balance for hours , it looks  good,  then tracking acts ups.

Actually It got Dec balance perfect at 2.2 amp scale. That's perfect at all ALT and AZ positions.

I could never get RA to balance as well. It would be several bars out at bellow 25 degrees E and W.

At 45 degrees E and W it would be excellent , less than a bar.

I using a radial offset weight to get Dec perfect.

RA should be easy to get perfect in all position, I think.

But it never is.

The current should not ramp up from .5 amps to 2.0 in either axis. Eventually tracking gets flaky. I see it go bad more in RA the Dec. The is like because that most driven element.

Perhaps there is some adjustments but I kind of expect it  to go back to Austria. Martin emailed me to do a Skype- team viewer session.

Max