Data cables I and H

sdufoer

Question

All,

I have ordered the data cables (I & H) to work though an ASA DDM85.

I intend to have an UTP network connection run though the mount to connect via ethernet to my Apogee camera.

Problems is the colors are different...

RA: Green, Blue, Black, Yellow, Orange, Purple, Blue, Red
DEC: Green, Brown, White, Yellow, Grey, Pink, Blue, Red

What cable fits where ?  I have looked everywhere to find documentation, but I didn't find it.

By the way: on the DEC axis I can slide an UTP head over the 8 tiny copper cables, but the cables on the RA axis are too thick for an UTP head.  Somebody knows if a standard solution exists without too much hassle?

Thanks, Sjoerd

4 answers to this question

Hello Sjoerd,

I'm not sure whether I understand your problem correctly. To my understanding, you want to connect your Apogee via a network cable to your computer but instead of connecting it directly, you want to use the internal cabling of the mount.

I did a similar thing (two usb-cables instead of your ethernet cable). I bought two 8-pin DIN plugs, then cut the cable (ethernet in your case) in the middle and soldered the DIN plugs to the open ends.

That works great and you don't need any special cables, just two DIN plugs for about 6 € or $ a piece (be aware - there are two slightly different types of 8-pin DIN plugs).

That's the type of plug that I use, basically identical to what ASA also uses:

http://de.rs-online.com/web/p/din-steckverbinder/5336792/

Hope this helps,

Robert

Hello Robert,

You received probably the data cables with an ethernet UTP head already attached to the cable?  I received 2 data cables.  One for the RA axis, one for the DEC axis.  Both have at one end the DIN-plug to screw it on the mount connectors (RA and DEC sides respectively).  The other ends of the cables are just 8 pieces of wire that stick out of the cable, with each a different color.  Like you have when you buy a cat7 ethernet cable.

Because the colors of the 8 wires are different for the RA and DEC cable, I have to guess what wire that goes in at the RA side goes to which cable at the DEC side.  That is mainly my problem.  There was no documentation delivered with those cables.

Sjoerd

Hello Sjoerd,

Do you have access to a multimeter? The easiest way would be to connect both of your cables to the Mount and check each wire on the RA cable against the wires on the DEC cable using the ohm-meter to find out which wires are connected.

Robert

Thanks for the tip, Robert.

I borrowed a multimeter from a family member.

These are my results.  Maybe somebody can use this data in the future...

RA       DEC

yellow  yellow

green   green

red       red

blue     blue

purple  grey

brown  brown

black    pink

orange white